Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lights burnt out and I thought it was the bulb but when I bought new bulbs and replaced it, the lights still didn't light up. So I was told it could be the ballast and to get a new ballast. I got a new ballast and the lights still do not come on. I tried plugging in the wires like the diagram on the ballast but still no luck. Is there something else that could be wrong? Is anyone good with electrical?

Thanks
Thai

·
Registered
612 Posts
If the bulbs and ballast are good, the only other things to look at is the cord and switch. I'm assuming you don't have it plugged into a failed timer.:p

If you don't have a voltage tester you can get a neon light tester that is simple to use,

Tester

You will have two wires or three wires coming into the light, Hot, Neutral and ground. if you have only two you don't have ground. check with the meter from the wire that doesn't go to the switch to both sides of the switch with the switch on and off. when it's off you should have no voltage on the side of the switch that goes to the ballast, and with the switch on you should have voltage there.

My suspicion would be the switch followed by the cord cap. Make sure you check the outlet that you are using just to eliminate it as a failure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
697 Posts
as well, you can check the circuit breaker the light was plugged into. is that circuit overloaded? but yes, check the cord and switch first. you can also check your connections if everything else checks out fine. maybe something came loose that you can't immediately see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
chances are its the switch.. keep on turn it on and off and see if it do a little spark of light. If it does than its a switch. most case ...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad has multimeter, I think I can use that to test if there is power coming through.

I check the outlet I am plugging it into by plugging in my laptop and another light. They both work fine. So the outlet is not the issue. I will check the switch.

The way to test the switch is just to turn it on and off? I will check that later on when I get back home from work.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you have the multi than connect it to the where the light gets plug in and turn it on and off. if there is a voltage see if the voltage is correct. Multimeter helps alot :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts