Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 Gal Eclipse tank. It comes with a standard 12 t5-8Watt Florescent. That equates to about 1WPG accounting for some loss since the reflector is just white plastic. I have tried other bulbs with different lux levels and K ratings, but none have proven satisfactory. I have some great ideas of stuff I want to grow in the tank, but the lighting is sub-par to say the least. I am good with electronics, modification and wiring, (I built & modded my own computer), but I just need some ideas to get started. Here are some of the ideas I'm bouncing around now.

1) Remove stock molded plastic hood and make my own lid out of clear acrylic. I will enclose the filter with this as well, then build my own custom hood out of wood and upgrade it with a higher wattage CF.

or

2) leave stock hood and line the inside with a combination of White, Green, Blue, and Red LEDs to provide more light. This could also be sent to a custom controller circuit board to allow for some of the LEDs to act as a moonlight for the tank as well.

If anyone can think of anything else that might work to allow more light into the tank, please let me know. I am up for any ideas. Please make them DIY or budget friendly, as I'm not made of money and do not want to spend too much on this. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
To get high light intensity I suspect you are going to need around 24-30 watts of T5 light - 4-5 of those 6 watt bulbs. If this were mine I think I would first try to just add one more bulb, get some "ultra white" flat paint and paint the inside of the fixture to try to get the maximum of reflected light, then see how that looks or works. It just isn't easy to guess how much wattage it takes for that size tank.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
I have a 7g bowfront that came with flourescent light that didnt cut it. I removed all I could from the original housing and replaced it with components from the Mini Aqualight.

The Mini Aqualight can be disassembled so that you can mount the lights in the original housing and attach the ballast portion right onto the back of original housing. Two small holes need to be made for light wires. I am using the Mini Aqualights reflector because it has the bulb clips but its a little short.

The entire job can be done with a screwdriver and requires no soldering or splicing because of easy off easy on connections in Mini Aqualight. The Mini Aqualight is inexpensive ;) :D

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
That mini aqualight looks like a DIYer's dream! If I were going to keep my ten gallon tank I would try to adapt it to that tank.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Indeed it is...perhaps they caught onto that....because the price is much higher now!

It is really popular with refugiums and its guts are working like a charm on my small tank. I kinda forgot why I even bought it but I am glad I did. If you see one for sale snatch it up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts