Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need liquid co2 fill! any places open on the weekends? I live in the heights. Don't mind driving a bit to get a liquid co2 fill. Need to find a place open on the weekends.

Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
I already post on the hfb but figure i'll post here too just so someone might be asking the same question.

I will alway recommend going to an industrial place like AOC to refill. 8-9 buck for a 10lb refill. They will freeze the tank and then refill which will give you more co2. Tank to tank refill will never last long.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I went to FG - they did a tank to tank refill for ~$10 for a 2.5 lbs tank. Price is probably on the higher end but the hours and location very convenient for my schedule.

·
Registered
654 Posts
BBK, if schedule is an issue, another place you can check out in your area is Delfaco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies. Right around the corner from you. The only thing is they will hold your tank in the freezer over night and then refill. They also weight the tank before and after refill charging for only the amount of co2 you get.

Glen, thanks for bring Carbonics up.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
BBK, if schedule is an issue, another place you can check out in your area is Delfaco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies. Right around the corner from you. The only thing is they will hold your tank in the freezer over night and then refill. They also weight the tank before and after refill charging for only the amount of co2 you get.

Glen, thanks for bring Carbonics up.
Thanks Thanh! :clap2:. I'll have to check them out!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input. Has anyone tried Airgas 13727 Perry Rd, Houston? I work about 15 minutes from there so this will probably be my best option.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Air Gas is a little expensive but give them a try.

What size bottle do you have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to Airgas 13727 Perry Rd, Houston since its the most convenient place to get a co2 fill near my work. $32.55 for a 10lb refill plus taxes/hazard fee $37.00! Very expensive (over double) from what I've seen other members post. Oh well, lesson learned will try another place (cheaper) next time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definately taking it off the list for sure! I cant believe it cost $37.00! I definately got ripped off. Maybe I got premium co2? LOL! jk!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Professional welding supply
3000 Brittmoore

Try them out, real reasonable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wow, dude almost $70?!?!?

You could have got a new bottle for that.

ripped off is not the phrase for it, the right phrase would be cencored off the forum so I will not type it in. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Went to Airgas 13727 Perry Rd, Houston since its the most convenient place to get a co2 fill near my work. $32.55 for a 10lb refill plus taxes/hazard fee $37.00! Very expensive (over double) from what I've seen other members post. Oh well, lesson learned will try another place (cheaper) next time.
Mr.Beaver, you are right! That CO2 gas they have is actually a special compound made of gold-infused alloy. This special CO2 gas will make plants extra pearly and grow at an exponential rate. That's why they charge this much. That is the suma-uber-super special CO2.

***For the innocent-minded, y'all know I was only being sarcastic, right:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Did you guys see the article of CO2 from TFH this month by James Walmsley? It claims that there are different grades of CO2. I can't verify this claim but it seems to make sense.

Airgas supplies O2 and CO2 to research labs. In the lab we use CO2 in cell culture incubators. The atmosphere inside is 100% humidity, regular room air + 5% CO2 (mainly because bicarbonate buffers are used in the media). Any gas that into the incubator is passed thru a 0.2 micron filter to remove bacteria, fungi and spores.

There are special instances when CO2 is used in medicine - I can't imagine that would be the same stuff you hook up to your keg.

If you use CO2 for home brew or soda dispensers you certainly don't want industrial contaminants in there either. So there is probably "food safe" grade which should be good enough us.

If you want really p*mped out gas, the ADA System 74 CO2 is scented with various tropical smells :bounce: - for $86 per pound. I paid that price for a year's worth of CO2 cartridges before I switched to a 2.5 lb tank.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The one on Murphy next to HAW try to charge me hazardous fee also. They only do swap so I had the chance to grab my empty bottle and never came back. ;)

BBK, yup there is different grade of co2. For planted tank, I don't think it really matter. I'm curious where those beverage place get their co2. The AOC that I went to ask me is this for my KEG and I say yes. They didn't stop me. I tell them it was for a planted tank before and they just look with a stare. So from now on KEG it is. :cool:

I triple dog dare anyone to eat their aquatic plant. I got $20. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Did you guys see the article of CO2 from TFH this month by James Walmsley? It claims that there are different grades of CO2. I can't verify this claim but it seems to make sense.
You would be right on this one, B. There are in fact different grades of CO2, with the one for healthcare setting being the highest. The ones we usually get are for restaurant grades, which is used to carbonate soft drinks. There is also an industrial grade that is not as pure and might even be harmful to living things. We need some chemists to confirm this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed I got the best of the best co2 money can buy...minus ada co2. When I get my tank all setup and my plants are thriving...I can let someone sample (eat) a plant or two to see if its tasty! In the future I wont be getting "premium" co2 fills from airgas...my wallet isn't big enough for "premium co2".

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Right, I doubt even Mr.Amano would care for that kindda stuff;) Anyways, glad you are here to find out about other sources of CO2 in Houston.

Lesson here for us all is: If you think you paid too much for something, you probably did:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts