Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of mesh to use when i want to make a carpet kinda thing with moss. Ive seen people use it before, but I've always worried about the metal rusting in the water. Anyone know what kind of metal mesh I can use that would cause harm to the fish tank and to things that live in it. (most likely shrimps)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to use stainless steel. It is harmless for shrimps. I use mesh from Dennerle moss. Some aqua e-shops sell similar things for mosses.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea where i can get stainless steel mesh?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Any idea where i can get stainless steel mesh?
Jeremy at Oregon Aqua sells it. He's really a good guy. Here is his link.
http://oregonaquadesign.vstore.ca/

The stainless steel screen works better than the fiber glass because its heavier and will stay down. It can also be bent around rocks, limbs, etc.... or remain flat. Of course, I guess depending on your application maybe the fiber glass might work better...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
i use a loofa type shower scrubby things. they cost about a buck, you just unravel them and you've got about 10 feet of mesh. works great!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know if they sell at like homedepot and other home improvement stores?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that kinda sucks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use a plastic mesh that comes in 1 foot squares. Works great for tying down moss. I pick mine up at a local fabric show here in San Diego called "Micheal's". I would think most craft and or fabric shops would carry them. About a buck.

Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts