Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I've decided to build a biotope and I've pinned down the 3 plant species that are going to be in the tank.
The tank is going to be dirted, I am mineralising the soil right now so I have 1-2 weeks before planting! To the natural soil I will be adding jbl florapol for clay/iron and nutrient storage. Capping it with sand. Lighting will be 3xT8 18w with reflectors - Aquastrar, Narva Oceanic Flora and a simple 6500k
Tank size is L-27.6 inch(70cm), W-17.7(45cm), H-19.7(50cm) The chosen plants are Rotala Rotudifolia, Blyxa japonica and Ceratopteris thalictroides.
My idea is to have 2/3 of the back to be with Ceratopteris thalictroides, 1/3 Rotala and leave the mid to the blyxa. What worries me is that I don't know how the blyxa will develop. Will it become nice and bushy usurping all the space. Will it overtake and hide the Rotala and Ceratopteris thalictroides?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think that you can't know for sure before you try. In each aquarium plants tend to develop a bit different, I remember a very nice description from Konrad Lorenz how he set up several aquaria with the same speciues and then watched how in one aquarium one species became dominant, in another several species co-existed and in the third an algae (which he liked) took over part.

In an high-tech aquarium you'd take matters in your own hands and basically trimming and replanting determines what grows where, but in an aquarium like you have in mind it is more about "letting it go" to a certain extend.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Under good conditions, Blyxa will get bushy and needs plenty space. IF you just let it go, it will also get taller and the bottom leaves will start to drop. Typically, Blyxa is placed in midground with ample "elbow room", and when it begins to get leggy, it is topped, and only the tops are replanted (the bottoms are pulled and discarded).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts