Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been running a 29G setup for a little over a year now and got all of the bells and whistles running on it right now- co2 injection, variable lighting from 2.3 WPG(10 Hrs/day) to 4.5 WPG (3hrs per day), good water conditions, EI dosing, XP1 filter, etc. Many thanks to all involved at this site because alot of the intellectual credit goes to folks and posts from this site. All in all it is working. The plants are going nuts. I finally have then capacity to grow plants at a high level. I want to give the tank some aqauscaping/ trimming before I post pictures, but in the meantime I could use some advice.

Recently, I have been getting an almost "plastic" like film on the tank surface. It is pretty weird stuff- it looks waxy and dry, not oily. When I stick a finger into it, it behaves just like weak plastic sheet. I don't think it is hurting anything, but it isn't really pretty. When my plants start pearling in the afternoon the bubbles sit trapped in this stuff. I have fairly strong water flow thru the tank, but the level of plant growth has definitely reduced that flow and most of the flow is at the mid tank level. I had previously avoided surface agitation because of the co2 loss. I have plants (rotala indica, red rubin, crytocoryne balansae) that sit in, or in the case of the rotala, above the surface of the water. For the last week or so, I have just taken a Maxijet 600, flipped it upside down, with the intake half in, half out of water. The Maxi will clear the stuff off of the surface pretty well, but I am curious what the stuff is. I really don't want to leave the Maxi-Jet in the tank if I can find an alternate answer; I have been working hard to hide intakes and heaters a stuff, and really don't want more hardware visible. It does not seem like algae, rather a byproduct of the plants. Is their anything I am doing wrong? Should I trim the plants to below the waterline? I could give you my fertilizer stats, or my water parameters, but I figure somebody has seen this before. Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
It is a protein film that floats up on the surface of the water, probably from fish food. Nothing to worry about.

You can change the water a little more often to help reduce it from building up. You can also take a paper towel and place it on top of the film then remove the towel, the film will stick to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts