Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I plan on starting a 10g planted tank, and I need some advice on lighting it. I am stuck between the Current USA Satellite PC 40w and the Coralife Aqualight PC 28w. I plan on growing HC or a very thin carpet of glosso so I am looking for as much light as possible. I've looked up the prices of both lights at several websites and the LFS, and the Coralife light is cheaper and more bulbs are available for it. So my problem is, is the Coralife light enough to light a 10g with high lighting? Or would I have to spend a few extra dollars for the Satellite lights? And please correct me if I'm wrong, but on both fixtures I would have to replace the stock bulb anyways right? Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Current 40W over a 12 gallon rimless (used to be over a standard 10 gallon) and plants grow really well. I think it's worth it to spring an extra $20 for the Current. I had to swap out the bulbs and get 6700K on mine. Not sure about the Coralife, but if it's a 50/50 bulb, you'll have to do the same. As an added pimp-my-fixture bonus, you get a moonlight with the Current.

DJ

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I don't think your HC would do well with 28w, you'd do better with the 40watts. You will have to change out the bulbs. Have you checked out Tri-City Tropicals for their refurbished fixtures? You can have the bulb changed out for only $5.00. I'm very pleased with the 65w Satellite fixture I purchased for my 20 gallon tank. They aren't currently showing any fixtures as being available, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them. Check out : http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=657

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I placed my order for the refurbished Satellite. I also did the bulb swap, but they didn't have the daylight 6700K bulbs, so i went ahead and got the 6700k/10000k bulb, it's probably gonna be really blue, but at least its not actinic. Is 10,000K too blue for the plants to use? or can they absorb anything that isn't actinic? Also, whats weird is I can't find any Satellite 40w bulbs that are plain 6700K, if anyone knows where to find them it will be very helpful. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts