Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how you guys feel about this for my 20 gal long tank. I have all of the plants except for the HC(which i will be getting soon) and the Ludwigia repens. also i know that the bolbitis will probably be bigger than what i have it at

but i was wondering what i should put in the area to the right of the ludwigia. I am trying to go for a dutch style scape and i have little less than 3wpg, no co2 and aquasoil.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Look through the plantfinder (top left corner of the page in the gold strip) for ideas. I'm thinking one of the Hygrophila species for a different leaf shape/texture, most of them do grow fast though so you'd be pruning a lot. I also think you'd do best with another layer of plants behind the HC to get a good sense of depth. Plants like Lobelia cardinalis 'small form', Lysimachia, Anubias nana 'petite' stay shorter and grow slower so they'd add more interest and depth to the the tank. The bright leaves would also be a great contrast to the large, dark leaves of the Bolbitis.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok new drawing

the only thing now im worried about is if i have enought space for the new layer because i only have 12 inches width

·
Registered
208 Posts
the only thing now im worried about is if i have enought space for the new layer because i only have 12 inches width
I don't think a Hygrophila corymbosa compact will fit a tank this size...
It's compact if you talk about height, but not if you talk about leaves size or plant width.
This plant is really BIG ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone have an idea for the hygro?

heres the tank so far sorry for the cloudiness

on friday i am going to cut the stems but for now i want them to root better
and the red tabs are for the ludwigia and hygro places

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I've no experience with the Hygrophila sp 'Porto Velho' but from the PlantFinder it looks like it would be a good fit for your tank plans.

Wow, you really started out with a lot of moss, didn't you? It should form a great background in no time. Looking forward to updates when the water clears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok heres the updated pics noting really different except it will be a little less cloudy but the other cloudy i think is from the camera

i was wondering though how do people get there rotola to stand up straigt when mine is everywhere?

and here is the last pic to show the moss wall better and the water fern

edit: forgot to show you my shrimp:D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
looking good so far...the rotala will stand up when it knows where the light is coming from mine are straight up.. only took about two hours

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking good so far...the rotala will stand up when it knows where the light is coming from mine are straight up.. only took about two hours
are you dosing any ferts or anything because mine has been there since end of feb and its always looked like that

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
right now i have very low flow because the tubing for the filter is bending. But before u picked up i had a very high flow until that filter broke and i got the new one but the rotala was still the same way. Kind of weird isnt it:-k

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok i should be geting ludwigia repens and anubias nana petite in 2 days

·
Registered
459 Posts
I second cs_gardener's idea of using Lysimachia to provide some contrast to the dark background. Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' is one of the few aquatic plants with truly eye-catching yellow coloration and is very easy to find. You can usually buy it in its terrestrial form at any plant nursery in the spring where it is sold as "Golden Creeping Jenny". It will take a bit of time for it to change from the emergent creeping form to its upright submersed form. And I think the medium-sized rounded leaves would give you a nice texture contrast from the R. nanjenshan's pinnate, bottle-brush foliage.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
actually no i barley dose i forget to half the time...idk got any new up dates yet ha ha i love new pictures

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I second cs_gardener's idea of using Lysimachia to provide some contrast to the dark background. Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' is one of the few aquatic plants with truly eye-catching yellow coloration and is very easy to find. You can usually buy it in its terrestrial form at any plant nursery in the spring where it is sold as "Golden Creeping Jenny".
ill keep an eye for that sounds interesting.

pics coming friday because i found out that the ludwigia will come that day.
also should i let the rotola grow a little more or should i cut it to give it the shape like in the pic?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just googled Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' and its looks very golden yellow really kool looking

1 - 20 of 61 Posts