Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 10g planted tank with 3 white cloud mountain minnows, 2 leopard danios, and one zebra danio. I would eventually like to get 3 panda corys as well.

For now, I need suggestions on plants. I dose with Seachem Flourish twice a week. I am using a filter for a 30 gallon tank, but I got this filter from my dad and it is probably 20 years old and hasn't had a box or instructions or anything for years that I know of. I am using two 15W light bulbs that I got from the fish section at Wal-Mart.

I currently have some Saggitaria Subulata, Anubias Barteri var. nana, Java Moss, assorted aponogeton (from bulbs also from Wal-Mart), and some dwarf water lilies (also from Wal-Mart).

My substrate is just gravel.

My end goal for this tank is simply to look nice, have plenty of open space for my fish to swim, and be easy to maintain. I also don't want to have to spend lots of money on the tank. I like this tank Scroll down to the "Serenity tank".

I need some suggestions on what plants I should get and how I should plant them. I like the rhizome plants like Java Fern because they are easily movable (and are, therefore, easy to clean around/under), but I am open to suggestions. I have also been told that rotala rotundifolia would be a good plant to use, but I am unsure that I have enough light for it.

I want a final setup that cory cats would be happy in but one that my danios and WCMMs would also be happy with. I am new to planted aquaria, so easy-to-care for plants are a must! Suggestions for plants and how to set up the tank would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had considered doing a java fern 'windelov' in the back corner on the right-hand side of the tank. Then, I'd thought I could put a couple plants on either side of that (maybe rotala rotundifolia or some regular java fern or something else completely???). From there, the aponogetons could fill in any sparse spaces, and the saggitaria could fill in towards the front and a bit to the left from there. I thought I'd leave the left hand side of the tank with the gravel showing but keep the moss wall over the whole back of the tank. The left side of the tank could have the anubias and the dwarf lilies. What do you think? Would this look good? What other plant(s) should I use in the back corner?

I should probably also mention that I've got more of the white rocks like those in the picture. Any suggestions for using those?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well, certainly your fish species will appreciate open areas. One caution on moss and cories is that it will get rummaged through and may end up in areas you don't want it.

I like your idea of sticking with hardier plants that are slower growing, especially with the gravel only substrate (low fertility in the tank). Anubias sps, the java ferns, even some of the smaller Cryptocoryne sps are slow growing and demand little attention...

On rocks, I have a few in my picotope, but generally I like the plants to be the scape for my tanks. You've obviously seen my son's tank, in which his rock is the base for his Anubias bed, which is pretty cool. But I am not experience at all on using rocks effectively in a scape, so I have to reserve comments.

The apono bulbs may either not grow at all or may grow a plant on the large end of the spectrum, but I've never had luck with them, so I therefore have no experience with what they require. If you plan on buying stem plants, read carefully in the PlantFinder link (gold bar above) to find out what each species likes. You have pretty low lighting.

Later,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response.

Do you think the cory cats would cause a problem with the moss wall?

As for the apono bulbs, so far half of them have grown. I had some several years ago when I had my 30 gallon tank set up. They are nice plants, but they tend to go through a dormancy period. I didn't realize that and thought they'd died for no apparent reason and threw them out. I know this time around, though, and can handle that appropriately. Plus, they're cheap plants, and the company that grows them (I forget their name - SeaLife, is it???) will send you replacements (and usually twice as many) if you send them the bulbs that don't grow. I suppose there are aponogeton species that do get bigger than what I'm looking for. If that's the case, I know where I can advertise them. :D

As far as the plants I want to add to the tank goes, I have pretty much decided on java fern 'windelov', but I am still trying to decide on what other plant(s) I should get. Does the way I was thinking of arranging them sound like it'd work? What plant(s) would you suggest? One person has suggested rotala rotundifolia, but I hesitate to get a plant that requires higher lighting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts