Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I need to add some hiding places for my shrimp and baby platys. I have tried using dwarf baby tears, but my rainbow shark really enjoyed having a fresh salad :rolleyes: I have also tried using riccia and strapping it to the substrate. All that did was result in frustration too. My gourami kept trying to build a nest LOL and would pull it all up. Any suggestion on something that would make a nice ground cover/foreground plant that would ease my frustration and survive my fish would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with Hoppy. Just got some and it is filling in great. Hard to find, but good luck. I found some at a club auction. Yes, Hoppy mine is the same, just a little lighter in color. I think that was caused by how it was grown.

·
Registered
413 Posts
How large is your tank? Hygro "low grow" can get rather big if you've got a tank under 20-30gal.

You might try chain swords (E. tenellus narrow or pygmy dwarf Sag), Hairgrass, and/or Marselia sp. depending somewhat on your lighting and substrate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a 65 gal tank that is in desparate need of a foreground plant. I have plenty in the mid and background.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm having no luck finding any of the Hygro that you mentioned. Anyway here's some spec's on my tank....

65 gal
48 inch 4x65 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture
Sandy substrate
Temp stays around 82 F
Swapping over to a canister filter by then end of the week
Any thing else that might help?

Anyway...what would be some good secondary choices in plants??? I'd really like something that will cover really well. That's why I originally went with the dwarf baby tears (unfortunately the shark liked it just as much as I did).

thanks again
Ashley

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Blyxa japonica makes a good bushy foreground in a larger tank. Also the E.tenellus amd marsilea like lauraleellbp mentioned.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was going to mention the E.tenellus too. Also I have had great success with dwarf val, once it gets going side shoots galore make a fabulous forest for the shrimps to find refuge.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I did a quick search of the for sale forum. These members have sold some H. porto velho in the past, so you could PM them to see if they have any to sell now.
erijnal, ianmoede (possibly a different low growing Hygro).
I had a full tank of it just a couple of weeks ago, but I gave it away to local plant club members. Now, I no longer grow it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I'll probably look into ordering something sometime late next week (if I can find what I need). I wont be able to plant anything until the first week of Sept anyway...so no point ordering anything right now. Just found out that I'll be away from my fish most of next week having a little one so while I'm on leave I'll prolly be rescaping the tank a little bit. Anyway...if ya'll think of anything else for plant suggestions please let me know...
Thanks again,
Ashley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts