Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Milwakee SM 122 used and it did not come with instructions or Calibration solutions.

I'm not sure if I need to calibrate with 4ph, 7ph and 10Ph solutions or just 1. I'm trying to order my solutions and don't know what to get!!!

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
173 Posts
can u look up a instruction manual?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone point me to that manual. I did a search for "milwaukee SM 122 Manual" on google and didn't find a solution.

g

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been told in the past if you want to run your PH below 7.01 you should calibrate it with the 4.01 solution. So that is what I've always done with no problems.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would calibrate with 7.01 using the front adjuster and 4.0 using the back adjuster. Having two set points makes it more accurate. Every 6 months or so i clean and calibrate three controllers. IME the older probes, that may need replacing, seem not to calibrate to the 4.0. I will be replacing a 4 year old one soon. If anyone knows of any good deals let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Izzy, Thanks for stepping in and providing this info. I too bought mine slightly used minus the instruction manual. You shed a whole new light on calibration! Luckily, I haven't had any trouble with my controller or my livestock since I've been using it for the last couple years! I guess i better buy some 7.01 solution!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, after reading the manual, I figure I'll calibrate for 4 and 7. eBay has some of the simple foil packets for 3 for like $6.

Thanks,

g

·
Registered
86 Posts
i just got mine today and went to calibrate it, but only had a hole in the back no set screw? so i took the back off to find the adjustment on the board, but my problem was after calibrating it, i put the prob in my tank and it read 11.4 ph "oh no" now i know that's wrong, so i recalibrated and it still read 11.4. so i pulled out the old pinpoint ph monitor calibrated it put it in the tank and read 7.3ph then did a chemical test ya it''s 7.3 ??? now just so you know the prob that came with the milwakee arrived dry so i was thinking this might be a problem, but after reading some info thy say to soak it in a solution to activate it again but it still read 11.4, so just to see were the problem was i swapped the probes and the milwakee prob worked fine on the pinpoint and read 7.2 so i put the pinpoint prob on the milwakee sm122 and it read 7.2, so if any one can tell me what the heck (not what i really said) this kind of thing bugs the hell out of me.

·
Banned
732 Posts
i just got mine today and went to calibrate it, but only had a hole in the back no set screw? so i took the back off to find the adjustment on the board, but my problem was after calibrating it, i put the prob in my tank and it read 11.4 ph "oh no" now i know that's wrong, so i recalibrated and it still read 11.4. so i pulled out the old pinpoint ph monitor calibrated it put it in the tank and read 7.3ph then did a chemical test ya it''s 7.3 ??? now just so you know the prob that came with the milwakee arrived dry so i was thinking this might be a problem, but after reading some info thy say to soak it in a solution to activate it again but it still read 11.4, so just to see were the problem was i swapped the probes and the milwakee prob worked fine on the pinpoint and read 7.2 so i put the pinpoint prob on the milwakee sm122 and it read 7.2, so if any one can tell me what the heck (not what i really said) this kind of thing bugs the hell out of me.
I cannot say for sure without looking at you pH meter and probe, but the most likely problem is that you pH probe is broken or clogged. It probably needs to be replaced.

Missing parts and bad probe? Can you send it back?

·
Registered
86 Posts
no parts missing, just the set screw on the back is in a hole and i couldn't see it, so i took the back cover off to see instead of just poking around with a screw driver, i don't need to do that next time i calibrate it.
and i just found it funny that the milwakee prob wouldn't work on the milwakee co2 controller but it would work on the pinpoint ph monitor so i am up and running.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Calibrate to the 7.01 solution only..... I believe it says that as well on the instructions...........
Don't mess with the back of the controller.......

·
Registered
160 Posts
I cannot say for sure without looking at you pH meter and probe, but the most likely problem is that you pH probe is broken or clogged. It probably needs to be replaced.

Missing parts and bad probe? Can you send it back?
That's what I was thinking, a bum probe. If you bought it new, send it back. If you bought it used, you can get a probe from aquariumplants.com for about $40. I'm sure you can find one cheaper than that if you try.

Calibrate to the 7.01 solution only..... I believe it says that as well on the instructions...........
A calibration with 1 point isn't a calibration at all, and the manual says to calibrate to 4 and 7.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A calibration with 1 point isn't a calibration at all, and the manual says to calibrate to 4 and 7.
ya i just found it funny the way it worked out, but i have it up and running so all is good, and i checked it twice just to make sure it is working.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
dittto!

It comes with a card that says to calibrate with 7.01 only. It is bad that Milwaukee doesn't mention this on their site.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When mine was acting strangely, I spoke with a nice fellow at Milwaukee who sent me a new probe for free. He recommended calibrating with 7 & 10!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts