Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched all my livestock over to a 40g breeder from a 29g. When I did so I couldn't find the nerite snail that used to live in there. At first, I thought it had buried itself in the substrate or found some nook or cranny to hide in. Not seeing it roaming the tank wasn't odd, as it only came out at night and, I usually only saw it when I used the blue light at night (which is a fairly rare occurrence). Today I broke the tank down and removed the gravel and there was no nerite or any evidence a nerite had ever lived in the tank. It's in the realm of possibility that it could have climbed out of the tank, but I would have seen a body. Or an empty shell. Especially since this tank sat in my dining room where we eat almost every night. Even if it had died in the tank and I somehow missed it, I would think at least an empty shell would be found. There's nothing in the tank that could have eaten it; a dozen harlequin rasbora, 2 false julii cories, a mystery snail and, 2 Amano shrimp. I kept the tank at the more acidic end of the spectrum (PH 6.5).

Could the mystery snail and Amano's have eaten the shell for calcium? The last time I saw it, it was about 3/4 of an inch to an inch in diameter. If that's even possible, that seems like a lot of shell for two shrimp and a mystery snail to eat before I noticed. Also, from what I understand, the smell of a dead snail is unmistakable, so I think, or hope, I would have noticed a bad odor coming from the water.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts