Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a duplicate post that I put up on the Plant ID threads.

I'm curious as to what makes the new leaves 'pucker' or crinkle. The ones in the pic were like that when I got it and I thought maybe it got shaded out. But new leaves are coming on both stems now and they are very 'puckered' or 'wrinkled' as the top leaves in the photo. Is it a nutrient problem, or hard water, or lighting, or just a phase?

I have hard water (Houston tap water), EI dosing, DIY CO2 at 4-8 bps, don't test my water, don't measure CO2, moderately high light (2.6 - 3.2 WPG on a 50 gal). Am I "out of my league" trying to grow this puppy? :rolleyes:

-Dave

·
Registered
550 Posts
This plant doesn't like too much K it happen to me before, I would ask Cavan or Aron from GWAPA.
Cheers,
Luis

·
Registered
654 Posts
Since you just got this plant, just give it some more time. Typically it take a couple of weeks before most plants get establish and start growing.

Not testing water? At least get a Ph and a Kh test kit to figure out if you are giving the tank adequate co2 level.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Cavan suggested possibly too much K, and I had been adding extra liquid K in addition to EI dry fert dosing. So, I'm stopping the extra liquid. Certainly it needs more time. It's only been in there a week, I shouldn't be so impatient. :rolleyes:

-Dave

By the way, any news on the December meeting yet? I've got a couple or so Echinodorus quadricostatus if someone would like to give them a try. I got these from TexGal right after I moved. They grow fast, stay short, and look really good. The leave are more fragile than other swords, but they grow back quickly.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks, guys. Cavan suggested possibly too much K, and I had been adding extra liquid K in addition to EI dry fert dosing. So, I'm stopping the extra liquid. Certainly it needs more time. It's only been in there a week, I shouldn't be so impatient. :rolleyes:

-Dave

By the way, any news on the December meeting yet? I've got a couple or so Echinodorus quadricostatus if someone would like to give them a try. I got these from TexGal right after I moved. They grow fast, stay short, and look really good. The leave are more fragile than other swords, but they grow back quickly.
Save me some of those E. quad. I've been looking for some. I'll get with the guys tomorrow to check on the meeting date.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dave,
You might also talk to Mike Senske about what conditions he's growing his in. His looked really good when I was up at ADG last time. I know they use tap water there, but not sure about his fert schedule.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is interesting for me, as well, because I just got some Nesaea sp. ‘Red’ which is also stunting. This is unusual for my tank so I was wondering what was going on.

Dave, if you find out what's causing yours to stunt, please let me know. It's a very beautiful plant that not too many people have so it would be great to get it to do well so I can share it with others.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dave,
I think the Nesaea I gave you was in my Den tank and I do use a lot of K in it.
The ones in my bedroom that were in pots I replanted in the tank and they don't show any signs of stunting now. The C02 might have helped. I got one more pot in the den tank and will move it to other tank as it does't seem to be doing as well. Got almost all the sags and vals gone now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts