Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which forum this query belongs in, but here goes. I picked up these plants about a month and a half ago. The redder of the two seems to be growing fast and doing very well, but I can't figure out what it is. We were thinking Ludwigia when I got it, but I can't match it to a species. I think the greener plant is Nesaea pedilica (sp?) but I'm not exactly sure. I may still be looking at a transplant shock, but this plant is growing slower than I'd expect from a stem plant and the lower leaves are showing black discoloration. Also, it hasn't reached much above 6" but the top/new leaves are coming in with an orange flush. I'm pretty confident with the water column parameters and light level, but my sustrate is long, long overdue for a change-out. So, basically:

1- What is the red plant?
2- If the green plant is N. pedilica, what are it's substrate preferences? Is it generally a forground or midground plant? Is the black a sign of stress? (seems to be getting better, but I'm still curious)

Tank parameters:
50gal, heavily planted
Half tank under 150W HQI MH pendant, Half under 30W PC
(unknown plants on the bright side, fairly close to light source.)
pH: 6.8-7.0, day/night flux due to CO2
Hardness: 6.8dKH, 7dGH
NO3: 2-7ppm (added as KNO3)
Also fertilized with K2SO4, and Plantex CSM+B, Mg, Fe, and Flourite root tabs.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The red plant is definitely a Ludwigia, probably Ludwigia repens or one of its many varieties.

The green plant is definitely NOT Nesaea pedicellata. It looks like struggling Ludwigia 'Cuba' to me.

Carlos

·
Registered
459 Posts
The leaves of the second plant appear to be much too ovate for L. brevipes, but my experience with the plant is limited.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think a better picture would help. It is really hard to differentiate with such a small photo that's taken from above.

Carlos

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the picture a bit larger. Unfortunately, I'm away on business for the weekend, so I can't take another picture through the glass. I was expecting more height from the plant, so I planted it towards the back of the tank. I think I can pull up the background and take a picture from there. Perhaps it's crowded and that's part of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts