Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lookin good

Aaron,

I think you have done an outstanding job on your tank. It looks super. What type of fish, shrimp do you plan on keeping.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Very nice indeed!

If you want to try some Blyxa japonica in that scape I would be more than willing to trade you some for one or two of those Downoi :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lookin' good - what plants do you have in there?

I'm not too fond of the blue background, I reckon this is one of those tanks that would look great with a blown-out white background... or basic black would be a winner.

The spray bar is bugging me as its messing with that main rock, I just wanna reach in the tank and move it! :)

Nice rocks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys, the rocks are collected locally, so I guess they are volanic of some sort.
I'm planning to stock the tank with a group of small lampeyes. (either poropanchax myersi or Lacustricola kassenjiensis) They don't really school, but they are constantly courting which should look nice in open layout.
There is Blyxa Japonica in this tank and I was actually thinking of swapping it for something else. I think I need to be a bit more creative in my plant selection as Blyxa is a no-brainer in a tank like this. Can't take too many "easy outs" :) any suggestions to what I can use in the blyxa's spot?
The blue background will go. I want to try to shoot the tank with orange or yellow, maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blyxa japonica (back left corner)
Eleocharis acicularis
Java Moss
Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)
Ranunculus papulentus
Mini riccia
Eriocaulon setaceum
Riccardia sp.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Awesome looking tank. It really does look like an island. What are the small star shaped plants with the ridges on the sides of the leaves? I've seen them for sale before, but don't know what they are.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello, i like your layout. Very interesting though I would place only one or two species of plants. Some moss on the rocks and some eleocharis between them. Something more natural and balanced. Don´t know if a white background is the most acceptable for that layout because the rocks and substract are two bright to cause contrast. It is a matter of trying.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Well darn, there goes my chance of trading some Blyxa for some Downoi :)

I didn't realize that was Blyxa in the left rear corner. It looks much bigger than Blyxa, but I'm used to seeing it in a 75g, not a 15. You have done a beautiful job of making the tank seem much bigger than it is.

I would probably try to carry the E. acicularis into the left rear, but this too may be a "no brainer". Maybe one of the Eriocaulon sp. would work. 'Mato Grosso' or 'Australia' may work, but they might be too rounded for the look of the tank. The E. 'Goias' or 'Kimberly' may not be as rounded as the the first two.

I didn't notice the E. sateceum in there until you mentioned it. Very subtle.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Aaron said:
Thanks guys, the rocks are collected locally, so I guess they are volanic of some sort.
I'm planning to stock the tank with a group of small lampeyes. (either poropanchax myersi or Lacustricola kassenjiensis) They don't really school, but they are constantly courting which should look nice in open layout.
There is Blyxa Japonica in this tank and I was actually thinking of swapping it for something else. I think I need to be a bit more creative in my plant selection as Blyxa is a no-brainer in a tank like this. Can't take too many "easy outs" :) any suggestions to what I can use in the blyxa's spot?
The blue background will go. I want to try to shoot the tank with orange or yellow, maybe tomorrow.
Aaron, I don't know if you have entered aquascaping contest before, but before you change anything in that tank. I would remove the equipment and take some quality photos and save them for an upcoming contest. IMHO that is a very well balanced aquascape my friend. I has a very tranquil feeling about it. Personally i would'nt change a thing. Well done!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts