Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just made this acrylic cube, 9x9x9. i just wanted everyones opinion one anything, the good the bad, what kind of filter, substrate, co2, light, fish, shrimp, heater etc, etc, etc..... so please ask any questions. i would like 2 keep it on the simple side of nano's, if thats even possible. pix below i took 4 everyone 2 c the size of the nano, but i was just check'n 4 leaks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Nice work!... Do you know about how many gallons it is?

I would go small for the filter, heater, fish, plants etc.. Here are some of my suggestions...

Azoo Palm Filter

Marineland heater

Galaxy CF Light

Nano fish ... I also like male Endlers.

As for substrate almost any gravel or sand will work. I would stay with low light thin leaf plants. I would use Sechem Excel for a carbon source. As you mentioned shrimp would make a nice edition, especially the dwarf varieties.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanx Trenac!!! i ordered the filter and heater 2day... i had a light that a friend of mine lent me a wile back and i used that. its 2 9watt (18watts) CF coralife fixture. here are some pix for everybody. as for fish i was thinking of some kinda of rainbow, or even thous new galaxy rasbora. and some cherry shrimp. oh and diy c02 yeast system.

and the tank is 3.16 gal. (9x9x9)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
the blue-eyed rainbows make a nice nano fish. I've used male Endlers in my nanos (since I have alot of them - they breed like crazy) - they look great.

You can also consider doing the soil substrate with a paintball CO2 setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: New 2 Nano's

well its been a while but here r some pix 4 everyone 2 catch up. first i went and got some nice sand from my LFS. rinsed it for 2 days, and i worked on my hardsacpe.--- after about 1 week ( letting everything settle) i started 2 brainstorm ideas on aquascaping. i have both of the "natural aquarium books" and i spent a lot of time planing and thinking of new crazy ways to nano. well some java moss and celebise's rainbows i got the look i want. i will wait for everything to grow in so i can control the java moss but i was very happy with the out come. !!!!!!!!!!also im starting to get this protien film in the water????? i skim it away and yet it comes back the next day when i get home from work.!!!!!!!!!!!

and great news!!!!!! i got a new tank 12X12x12 cant wait 2 c what this one will look like if u guys have any suggestions about this new tank drop me a line.... or if u can help with this funky film prob that would be best.

the java moss, and tank after a few days. (letting the dust settle.

the new fish 6 celebies rainbows.

using pipette to acclamate the new fish.

a shot of the new fish in a happy home. sorry for the blurry pix, but they r fast.

and the new aquarium

enjoy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice work!... Do you know about how many gallons it is?
I didn't see an answer to this one...if I'm right...it's a lot more than seems right.

9in x 9in x 9in =729cu in.

according to google, 729cu in.= 3.156 US gal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
how do other people get such bigger pix up in the thread?
by linking, he(she?) means use the [/IMG*] tags (without the star, that's just so that the software won't recognize it as a tag so that I could demonstrate).

For example:

the following (without the star):
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/bredler/tengalprior.jpg[/IMG*]

Yields this:
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/bredler/tengalprior.jpg

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Sure hope you have another tank, because Celebese Rainbows will quickly outgrow this tiny tank.

They should have never gone into it in the first place, honestly. Six rainbows with an adult size of 3" in a 3 gallon 9" long tank?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ingg... no i know where u r coming from. i know there adult size. but i was looking to use them until the moss grows in and i can do a photo shot. this species has just great blue eyes with a nice body outline. after that im going to put them in my friends 140g. so no worries

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NEW pix 4 everyone plus new updates!!

its been a little bit since i have kept up with the pix but it got crazy at work. so here you go, i would like to get your feed back!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
How thick is the glass you used for this?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
can I ask how much they charged you for these two?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
" HOOHA" he did not charge me... i also have a reef tank with some rare corals in it so i traded for them... the frag i traded for the nano was worth about 40-50 bucks. but i would think that it would cost u 40 bucks for the large one. but i can find out next time i go over there.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
that's a good deal you got there :)
keep us updated on the progression of the tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does anyone have a thick film cover the surface of the water when u have aDIY Co2 yeast reactor? because every time i make a new batch, the film comes back, but as the reactor slows the film goes away.. if i stop the Co2 completely the water surface goes back to normal. does anyone have a solution to this. ( besides buying a Co2 system!!) i will post pix 2maro when tank is lit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A surface skimmer will get rid of that protein film. Unfortunately we set are planted tanks up to have no surface movement to save our Co2 this allows the carbon and protein molecules to bind together and cover the top. Luckily their are some nice DIY mods around for surface skimmers to solve that problem.

I have also herd of laying paper towels over the water to soak it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts