Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started working on a new 20 Gal tank.

I have 3 large lava rocks forming a back drop.
The center rock is about an inch from the back glass, the one on the left is about 3 inches, and the one on the right is angled so there is about 5 inches behind it. The fish are able to go through, between, and behind the rocks.

This is very porous rock with lots of holes and caves.

So far I have 9 Java Ferns, an Anubius, Dwarf Sag, some Sunset Hygro, Hygrophilia Corymbosa type "crispa" in the back right hand corner (to hide the heater and filter tube), and one I don't have a name for.

I plan on putting more Java Ferns going up the rock wall to give it a real tropical look, a wall of green.

The fish list is...
10 Serpea Tetras, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 3 Cories, and 5 Ghost Shrimp.

The Serpeas tend to stay at the bottom level so I'm thinking of adding some black Neon Tetras for the top level, though some type of larger specimen fish might be nice, but I've heard Serpeas can be nippy. Any ideas?

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay I'll comment since I just saw.

I like it. Once everything grows in it should be really nice looking. The right side needs something. Maybe some more anubias or some crypts.

Needs a background too. Would look much nicer.

Here is a question. Does the lava rock do anything to the water? I've seen this stuff around just never really looked at it for my tanks.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think a foreground carpet in front of the rocks would help with the impression. How about try some Marsilea quadrifolia? That should carpet nicely and should add to the jungle effect with its glossy, dark green foliage.

I think the tank really needs to fill out. The rocks look a little unnatural and blocky at this point --but should look much better when the ferns have filled in and have given it a more natural appearance.

Why not try some silver hatchetfish for the surface? They're like silvery birds!

Carlos

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks like a good start. IMHO, a moss on the rocks might help fill out the look a bit. Java moss, or some of the less avail ones, like Erect or Xmas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm aware its a little stark yet, the pic was taken literally within hours of setting up thats why theres no back ground yet.

I agree a foreground carpet would look nice.

I'm not sure of the effect of Lava rock on the water. But it seems just about every LFS sells it, and hey it's heat treated. LOL

Silver Hatchetfish sound like a good idea, I'll do a little research on them, availability etc.

I will be adding more Java Ferns, I cleaned out my LFS and I have to wait until they get some more.

Some Moss would be a good filler between the Ferns on the rocks.

I'll do a little more planting this week and post a pic in a couple days.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts