Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on setting up a new 29 gallon tank and haven't decided on what light fixture to get. I'm torn between the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight Deluxe Single 30" Strip with one 65W 6700K compact flourescent lamp and the Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30" with one 18W Colormax full spectrum and one 18W 6700K T-5 fluorescent lamp. The compact fluorescent fixture costs slightly more ($59.99 vs $36.99 at Big Al's). I want to plant this tank with Amazon swords and other South American plants and I'll be using a Filstar canister filter and injecting CO2 via fermentation. Which light fixture would you recommend and why?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've pretty much decided to go with the single 65W PC fixture (with pressurized CO2) as opposed to the dual 18W T-5 fixture when I get a new tank. I have two of the dual T-5 fixtures now over 30g and 20g long tanks and have been very satisified with them but I'm not sure I would get enough light in this case. I remember seeing a spreadsheet somewhere that allowed you to calculate the light in a tank depending on the type of fixture you used, the depth of the water, etc. I can't find that spreadsheet now. Does anyone know where it is?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get the 65W 6700K PC fixture with the adjustable legs and have set up the tank with the top open. I'm using fermented CO2 now but will change to pressurized CO2 sometime in the future. So far I really like the Coralife fixture I got. It appears to be well designed with small things like the power switch being sealed against moisture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.