Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have veen toying wihtthe idea of seting up a 5.5 gallon to go by my bed. I really liked Ryuken168's little setup and might try that but myine will only be visible from 2 sides so I will probably just go with a small AQ mini or something. My plan is to use flourite for hte substrate and planting wiht pearlgrass, java fern and moss and maybe some crypts. I would love some input on lighting, filtration and co2. I have an incandescent hood that i could put a pc bulb in or I could build my own hood and do anything I wanted. I just don't want to spend a lot of money. What about CO2? SHould I do DIY or should I try flourish excel. Ihave never used it. How much lighting would I need for this setup. Do you think one t-5 12" florescent (I am not sure of hte wattage) would be enough. Carolyn's tank has one and it seems pretty bright. The crypt wendtii, H. leucophalia and radician sword all grow very well for blue gravey adn no ferts:) I am unsure of the requirements for the pearl grass. Anyone?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Dennis,

I had a 5.5 in my office once. With such small tanks, less is more. Forget CO2 injection, it is too difficult to set up. I used a small hang-on-filter like the one made by AZOO now. Lighting was a simple 13w flourescent light fixture.

Remember that these little tanks look better with small plants. I would not use swords or the pearl grass. I would stick to small Crypts, mosses, and other low light plants.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts