Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after many years out of the hobby, I finally acquired and set up my new tank.

Setup:
50 gallon glass breeder
1" Nature's Care Organic Soil mix with clay cat litter
1" AquaFin gravel (pretty fine at about a couple mm in dia)

Plants:
Anacharis
R. indica
Blood Stargrass
Dwarf Lilies
S. subulata
2 Red Ozelot Swords
1 Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Crypt Walkeri

Think I probably need some more plants and def some floaters which I'll pick up this week. Also gonna get some hornwort from my fried. But for now, this is how she looks...

Thoughts, comments, or questions welcomed!

·
Super Moderator
2,630 Posts
The tank looks promising. Nice assortment of plants, perfect 1" of gravel and 1" of soil. My only concern is the inclusion of kitty litter. I do not recommend mixing soils (my book, p. 137). Your substrate may work okay, but for others reading this post, please take note. Soil mixtures like this (i.e., organic + clay) can (I'd say 50:50 chance) for developing aluminum and/or iron toxicity, thereby reducing plant growth, stimulating algae, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank looks promising. Nice assortment of plants, perfect 1" of gravel and 1" of soil. My only concern is the inclusion of kitty litter. I do not recommend mixing soils (my book, p. 137). Your substrate may work okay, but for others reading this post, please take note. Soil mixtures like this (i.e., organic + clay) can (I'd say 50:50 chance) for developing aluminum and/or iron toxicity, thereby reducing plant growth, stimulating algae, etc.
Well crap! I saw other people doing it here, but of course, didn't check your book again which I just bought again for this very purpose!! #$%^&*!

Anything I can do to mitigate potential damage short of restarting?

·
Super Moderator
2,630 Posts
Maybe it will work. You've done everything else right. I would give your plants a couple weeks. If you see good growth, then you are home free. If growth is poor and you see problems, then at least you will have some idea of what to do. Tank setups are always tricky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it will work. You've done everything else right. I would give your plants a couple weeks. If you see good growth, then you are home free. If growth is poor and you see problems, then at least you will have some idea of what to do. Tank setups are always tricky.
Ok, I will do what we usually do and wait and see! I haven't been on this form since you helped start it, Diana and I've always taken your advice (hence ussername in a sense...)

But anyway, so see what's happening in a month and then I'll check in with you guys!

Also, added a whole bunch of hornwort. Thnkining of scraping paint off back glass

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! What do you plan on stocking it with?
Don't know yet. My friend's dad is a master breeder (literally showed me fish no one else has ever bred in the US besides him) and he offered to give me fish once tank is established so, while I have ideas for lower, middle, upper regions.... we'll have to wait and see

·
Super Moderator
2,630 Posts
Don't know yet. My friend's dad is a master breeder (literally showed me fish no one else has ever bred in the US besides him) and he offered to give me fish once tank is established so, while I have ideas for lower, middle, upper regions.... we'll have to wait and see
I'm envious!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts