Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, here's the deal. I need some advice on how to best switch things over to my new tank. I've been scaping for 9 years using the same high tech 29g tank running an Ehiem Ecco 2236 with 4" of Eco-complete. This is a heavily planted tank with a couple SAE's, 15 Amano's and about 18 tetras. Because I've only started this one tank, I'm at a bit of a loss here, huge blind spot in my skill set.

My killer wife bought me a new 50g rimless DAS tank (36x18x18 ) . I love my wife. I'm switching over to aquasoil as well, but want to continue running my same filter. My concerns surround the utilization of my old filter to help cycle the new tank, while maintaining good health for critters and plants in the old tank for 30 day.

Let me tell you what I was proposing to do:
- Place old Eheim HOB liberty 200 on old tank and let it run for a week in combination with Ecco canister.
- Hardscape new 50g and add ADA aquasoil Amazonia, power sand and couple other ADA additives
- Fill 50g with water and follow suggested protocol:
- Perform a 95-100% water change in 24 hours.
- Perform another 95-100% water change 24 hours later.
- Perform a 50% water change 24 hours later.
- Add plenty of fast growing plants.
- Place Ecco-canister on new tank without cleaning filter to seed new tank. Leaving HOB on old 29g tank to maintain for 30 days while cycling new tank.
- Temporary use of an old 2x39 watt T5HO while maintaining current CF on old tank.
- Watch Ammonia levels and Nitrite levels on both tanks.
- Add SAE's when finished cycling and then add in remaining fish over a couple weeks to be followed by shrimp.
- Move over several plants from old tank to new tank
- Do a partial clean of Canister filter after 45 days, possibly just the fine scrubber.

Well, that's all I've got. My assumption about utilizing the HOB to maintain my 29g is based on threads I've read. Apparently, in an established heavily planted tank the filter is not necessary to maintain the cycle so much as it supports the mechanical movement of water. Therefore, the HOB should be sufficient to maintain things. Yes? No?

Do you think this will work? What should I change? Feel free to tear into my method.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Your plan looks pretty good to me.

I would nix the 95% water changes. Water changes that large only thwart the eventual cycling of the tank. ADA recommends daily 30% water changes for the first 2-3 weeks and running carbon in the filter.

I would also plant the new tank from the get go and grab some cheapo fast growers to keep in the old tank just as place holders. The ADA system releases the initial ammonia that it does to grow the plants very quickly in the first 4-6 weeks and it would be a shame not to utilize it. A lot of the good bacteria are in the substrate in an established tank so you should be good just using the seeded HOB on the old tank for a while.

You might find the canister filter is a little too small for a 50 gallon tank, but you can always upgrade that later if you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your plan looks pretty good to me.

I would nix the 95% water changes. Water changes that large only thwart the eventual cycling of the tank. ADA recommends daily 30% water changes for the first 2-3 weeks and running carbon in the filter.

I would also plant the new tank from the get go and grab some cheapo fast growers to keep in the old tank just as place holders. The ADA system releases the initial ammonia that it does to grow the plants very quickly in the first 4-6 weeks and it would be a shame not to utilize it. A lot of the good bacteria are in the substrate in an established tank so you should be good just using the seeded HOB on the old tank for a while.

You might find the canister filter is a little too small for a 50 gallon tank, but you can always upgrade that later if you want.
Thanks for the ideas ! Appreciate the help.

I've had a hard time finding information on ADA recommendations for cycling with amazonia, so thanks.

I've wrestled with merely taking my old dirty canister and placing it in the new uncycled tank to get things kicked off fast, or giving it a partial clean first leaving approximately 25% of the uncleaned media intact. any thoughts?

I'm assuming you see draw backs to me using the ECCO 2236 on this tank. Curious what you see as the draw backs. Not enough water flow?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Thanks for the ideas ! Appreciate the help.

I've had a hard time finding information on ADA recommendations for cycling with amazonia, so thanks.

I've wrestled with merely taking my old dirty canister and placing it in the new uncycled tank to get things kicked off fast, or giving it a partial clean first leaving approximately 25% of the uncleaned media intact. any thoughts?

I'm assuming you see draw backs to me using the ECCO 2236 on this tank. Curious what you see as the draw backs. Not enough water flow?
There's great info on the ADA methodology in their catalogue from a few years back called The Book of ADA. You might PM the Senske brothers at ADG to see if they still have one laying around.

I don't think cleaning the fine filter pad of the filter would hurt much. I wouldn't disturb the biomedia though.

Yes, not enough water flow would be my biggest concern. I suppose much of that depends on how densely planted it would be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts