Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Do you think that the new activity described below is a good idea?

• Yes, it would be so helpful! I can know everything about the tank of my choice!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it would be difficult to find people committed enough to share and answer questions.

• No, it would never work.

• I have better idea(s). I'll PM you.

• These aquascaping activities are useless and stupid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea on what to do to replace layout critiques. Instead of posting aquariums and letting others pick at other's tanks, I've decided to open a question and answer type session more or less every week on people's tanks. This is how it will work:

I contact someone over the week (I can take requests) to present a specific tank to APC.

That person types up an explanation of what his original intent was with the aquascape, how he or she positioned the hardscaping, what lead him or her to place it that way -- how he or she decided on fish, plants. Basically, provide everything and anything there is to know about the tank being shown. Planting diagrams would be helpful, etc.

Afterwards, people can ask questions here on the forum about the tank and the person can respond to them.

Using Phil Edwards as an example:

I PM Phil that people want to know more about his 90g discus tank.

On Monday, Phil writes up a post about his layout, describing how he set it up, how he decided to position the driftwood the way he did, what was his original intent with the aquascape, how did the aquascape eventually mature, etc.

Member X then decides that he wants to know why he used Sag and glosso in the foreground, why not just use one foreground plant?

Then, Phil can respond to that question, etc.

How does this idea sound? Would it fly? Would anyone be willing to do this?

Poll's up. Let me know.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I think this is a great idea, and if I may, I think we can take this a step further. An idea was floated about using the Thursday Night Chat for a similar idea. Combining the two where a tank is presented early in the week with a write up about it by the designer could be supplemented with a live question and answer period on Thursday nights.

Now to take this up as Emeril say, another notch, why not also have some of the past and present aquascaping judges comment on the tank during the week too. They could add more detailed insight into what works, what doesn't work and why.

In a venue such as this we all can learn what the judges look for and how they go about the mysterious art of aquascape judging.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I think that perhaps your idea may help in terms of taking the 'criticism' out of "constructive criticism" -- In my humble opinion, a good thing. :) It's nice hearing how one can improve one's tanks, but sometimes putting one self up for all the criticism can be tough on the ego :) :wink:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It's a good idea, Carlos. The present format is effective and simple though, in that it presents us with a nice aquascape to consider and it is interesting to hear people's comments. Recently the comments have been less enlightening, perhaps. I think your proposal is worth a shot. Something more might come out of it.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The response is overwhelming. Ok, I'll give it a go and see how/if it works.

I will start accepting suggestions for tanks you want described by their owners. Please, I ask for a tank you would like to see here. All of these will be archived and perhaps turned into articles for the Aquascaping article section of this site.

Carlos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts