Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my new ADA tank today and started scaping today....Here is what i got so far but im not totaly thrilled with the layout so any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO, way too many small rocks.I like the large stone to the left, and the medium stones on the right. Maybe try pulling out all the little stones, see how it looks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i reworked the scape a bit and rigged up the hardware. I still have a few more parts that are coming but for now here is where i am at...
I got an eheim 2215. I got a 200watt inline heater and a 9 watt UV that i am running off the return line from the eheim canister. I managed to fit a 20lb co2 tank in the stand with the canister filter, UV, and heater!! that was a relief :) I also got an ADA beetle CO2 diffusor. I am ordering the drop checker and glass filter pipes from green leaf this week. I am also gonna get some clear flex hose cause i dont like looking at the ugly green hose from the eheim canister...
So here are some pics of the progress thus far.

I left the hoses long for now just to find the right fit. I am gonna trim everything down, tidy up the wires, mount the transformer box from the UV, the ballast from the light, and the power strip to make it all nice and clean for ease of maintenance.

Here is the reworked scape...It looks weird from this angle but i have to move my couch to get a good shot :(

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Wow, you did a great job. And my hat goes off to you for planting all tiny plants. :yo: I never realized how difficult and time consuming that is until I redid my scape to day and planted some dwarf hairgrass. WHAT A PAIN!

I really like the scape! Are those Rasbora het.?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"WHAT A PAIN" is an understatement!!!! Everytime i got a few to stay in the substrate i would have more float back up to the top! I found a little trick after about the third hour in. When you are pulling the rock wool and separating the roots, leave a little tab of wool over on a small mat of the plant and use it as something to anchor under the substrate. I had one amano shrimp in the tank and it would keep going over the freshly planted dwarf baby tears and jog them loose and up they went to the surface..So i caught the shrimp and put it in my QT and it will stay there till the plants root.
And yes they are harlequin rasboras. I had 4 to start but i knew i would be planting today so i finally kicked on the co2 for the first day yesterday and last night one jumped ship. My guess is from the co2? So i slowed the bubble count down a bit and the other three seem to be fine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Craig,

The scape looks great

What type of rocks are they and where did you get them? Also, what substrate are you using?

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for substrate i am using ADA power sand, ADA amazonia 2 regular grain, and ada amazonia 2 powder grain. The rocks are a mix of shou stone and seiryu stone.

Thanks for the compliments!
Craig

·
Registered
733 Posts
Craig,

Updates?

Did you get the rocks from the ADA website? What is the size of the tank and how much rock did you buy to for this tank?

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the rock from a my LFS along with all the other ADA stuff. I had a horrible algae break out and lost a lot of the HC. I have it back under control though. here are some pics of the algae issue....

and here is the tank up to date. You can see the HC took a bad hit :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Isn´t that quite a bit normal, if you light up 150 Watts MH on a just 60 cm tank?

I had the same appearance on my 45 Litres lit with 70 Watt MH.

Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow nice scape!!! Can't believe that much algae is in there already!

Curious what Fish store did you get them from?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it all from house of fins in greenwich CT.
Anyway...I made some minor adjustments to the scape by pulling out a few stones and i also added some new hardware. I spent a good portion of last night cleaning up the filtration under the tank by shortening the hoses and what not. Turned out that after i finally got everything to fit all nice... i found that i had 2 valves leaking!!! So i have to get those replaced before i am done plumbing the filtration skid. Since i have a 20 lb co2 tank under the stand...it is a real pain to get on my hands and knees to adjust the bubble count (thats my excuse for buying this! and i am sticking with it!) So i had to buy this :)

Also added the glass lilly pipes sorry about the lamp in the way but i was working under the tank last night when that photo was taken and i need light to see. I snapped the photo and forgot to move it..oh well!

Here are some amano shrimp photos:

Finally, here is my kitty sitting on the back of the couch eyeballing my fish while i was working on the tank last night haha!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like puddy tats!

Oh, yeah, the tank is nice too... :)
Hehehe :) me too! I have always been more of a dog fan till this little girl came along. I rescued her when she was very young (maybe 2-3 weeks of age) She is missing her back left leg and i found her getting beaten up by a homeless guy one winter. I gave the guy a few beers in return for the kitty. She has been terrorizing my dogs and fish ever since! :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
OMG House of fins had those rocks!!! I stopped there about 2 months ago. Probably one of the best stores there is here in CT.
What part are you from craig?

lol I'm wondering if that cat's gonna get some dinner!

The tank is looking great but I think it needs more slope in the back as it looks really flat.

It's really starting to look like a mountain though!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i had them order them for me. i could have gotten them online but then with shipping it would have cost an arm and a leg. They were really great through the whole process of buying the tank other than it taking the distributor forever to get the tank in stock. They even let me dump the rocks on the showroom floor (across the street from the retail store) and start playing with all the rocks and virtually build a scape on the carpet in front of the sweet iwagumi tank set up there.
I am in the hartford area but i like to make the trip down there everytime i head down to NJ to visit my parents. I actually stopped in this past weekend and spoke to Rick for a bit. They are having their 50th anniversary sale this weekend and he said that they will have some crazy rare plants in from Asia that are seldom seen on the market. May be worth the trip :) They are also having Bob Fenner speaking and a bunch of tents setup with many vendors selling new products at discounted prices. So you can count on me being in greenwich this weekend. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Aw man that sounds sweet! I've been there twice so far! I'm in Shelton. lol A town most in CT never heard lol. Basically near New Haven.

Anyways I think it's pretty cool that they even do that kind of stuff. Maybe next time I can ask if they can order anything. They are a pretty costly store so don't they jack up the price?

Anyways curious what you had to pay for everything.

Ohh and that one tank across the street is Blazin! lol Seriously the scape is just awesome. I spent about 20 minutes just staring at it lol Also I took Pictures a while back. I might post them up tomorrow.

If only I had my license lol maybe just maybe I could make it down there. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts