Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my tank and I have tried hard to go slowly with it. However, I am having a heck of a time keeping the fish alive. The plants, however, are growing. I have .64wpg from a full spectrum flr. light and natural light from a large window. The back is black so the natural light filters in from the sides. The plants are growing, but I would love more plants. I got mine from aquabotanicstore.com and was happy with them. Now, my mopani wood has become covered with white fuzzy slime. Should I take it out and scrub it or leave it as a friend suggested? I haven't fertilized the plants, but I do have a bottle of fertilizer I bought for them.

Thank you, Pam

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. My tank is 55 gallon freshwater, HOB double bio-filter, 2 18" bubble wands set to emit very few bubbles, 2" gravel, 2 pc. driftwood, various native rocks (cleaned, scrubbed, rinsed, dried in the sun), heater, plants. Tested the water, 0 chlorine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, nitrites at 2.5, pH 7.6. Did a 25% water change to get these levels. Added liquid bacteria to tank. No dead fish overnight. Have 4 neon tetra, 1 oto, 1 julii cory, four 1.5" blue gourami. Had mopani wood in the tank but removed it because of white slime that developed all over it. Currently plants are growing. The tank is located in front of a large window with mini blinds. Sunlight is filtered into the tank, along with the florescent light. I feed the fish small amounts 3x a day - flake and betta bites ground smallish because all the fish are small (under 2"). I use a 1/4" tube to vacuum debris from the filter intake and anything I see floating or laying around. Hope this helps.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comments. The amount I feed my fish is about a tiny pinch. I am home with them and watch them all day. I am a pushover! Anyway, when I have animals I think of how they would live in the wild or in a natural habitat. I know that fish feed mainly at dawn and dusk. But, they forage all day. I am noticing that the gourami are nibbling at the roots of the frogbit and the leaves of the egeri najas. This makes me think they want to eat. I don't want them to eat my plants! I know there will be some plant eating, but, the little fish can really do some damage if they are hungry. I rely on my one florescent light (.64wpg) and the large window behind the tank that lets in filtered light into the tank. I am not sure how I would add more light except to get a different bulb. The one I have is 35W. Any suggestions? I have searched through a few stores and the maximum wattage I have found is 40W. That means I would have to have 2 bulbs. I guess I should search for some low light plants?! Thanks again!

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tank is now cycled. It took about a month I guess. I am still losing neon tetras, out of 6 have 2 fat healthy ones left. If they croak I am not getting anymore even though they are one of my favorites. I have 4 blue gourami, 1 oto, 1 julii cory, and the two tetras. I bought some plants and now have snails, too. I don't know what kind they are because they are so small. I wasn't doing snails because I have plants. We'll see how they act before I pluck them out. All the parameters of the tank and good now. I am pleased with the effect. The picture in my signature is from yesterday. I just put up a 72 gallon bow front. I am designing it and letting it completely cycle before adding any fish. I will be getting discus and don't want to take a chance on losing them. I will probably add the tank mates for the discus before I get the actual discus since they will be less costly. I hate losing fish. Even if I have them for an hour I feel a responsibility to them.;)

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a new problem, well an old problem, but one I need to deal with. The pH in the soon to be Discus tank is at 7.5 and needs to be about 6.5 or so. The water is alkaline 115, hardness 150, Nitrate 20, Nitrite .9, Ammonia 0, Chlorine 0. This is my 72 gallon I am just setting up and will have no fish until completely cycled. Any ideas on how to change this. I am adding Amazonian plants, rocks, and driftwood. Suggestions would be great.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will do that. I am moving some plants from the tank pictured in my signature to the 72 gallon. I am converting the 55 gal (pictured) into a SE Asian tank. The 72 gallon Amazonian. Guess I better order some more plants! I definitly want this to be a planted tank and I am aiming to make it as natural as possible. I will upgrade the lighting, and check out the CO2. Now, to find an oak tree.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.