Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
GOTTA LOVE the spin (positive OR negative) we can put on products... anyone remember THIS one?
(this stuff sounds GHASTLY... )

Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
* contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
* may cause severe burns.
* is fatal if inhaled.
* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
* may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.
* in nuclear power plants.
* in the production of Styrofoam.
* as a fire retardant.
* in many forms of cruel animal research.
* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Dihydrogen monoxide is also known as WATER :peep:

All kidding aside, this stuff's been on the market for over two years.... I think we'd all be using it by now if it was THAT good ;)

· Registered
188 Posts
I use this stuff for both of my tanks

I use the floragem (litter sized) and the black (sandy texture)

I have had the most success with it...Ive used flourite and eco-complete before

I like the floragems the best because its coarse enough to support excellent root growth...but just wish it was darker

the black version grows things well...but I "think" that since its so fine, the plants cant grow roots extremely well

either way...love the stuff and get it at PetCo for $20 a bag

· Registered
27 Posts
I've been using this substrate for about 6-7 months now. The plants grow roots quite nicely and they seem to like it so far.

It does not compact at all which means it is hard to plant new plants in it. It does not hold them well until they develop roots and then they are firmly planted; a months of floating plants in the morning. Some of it is quite fine and when I clean, I am still getting sand particles with the waste. Granule size vary from very small sand to few rocks about 1/4 in size. I have the black and there are a few pieces that are white or yellow and even a few that have a pearlized finish. This doesn't bother me as I think it adds a nice natural look to the substrate.

During the first 4 months or so, plant growth was dramatic but slowed down after that and I dose various ferts everyday. With that said, I think that the substrate gave up most of its nutrients in the first few months and maybe going sterile quicker than I would like.

All in all, for the price I paid, $18 a bag, I think it is a descent substrate especially for the beginner like me. Next time I will probably get something different but it is natural looking and the plants seem to like to fine.

Any other questions about it?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.