Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'd like to get a plant club started soon. I want to have the first meeting in one month (around the 23rd-26th of Oct). I'd like to hold it on a monday, but fridays are a possibility as well. I was thinking of starting around noon at my house in hamden CT (06518), then we can go on a collection trip for rocks and driftwood and then come back to my house for tea, some snacks, and to discuss plants, trade, etc... So far three people including myself are going to be attending. Please PM me for more details or to confirm.

You are all welcome to bring friends or anyone else who might be interested in aquarium related hobbies.
-Michael

·
Registered
329 Posts
Michael. Just a FYI. You're likely going to get much more interest and better success if you have the meetings in the evenings after work or on the weekends. Most of the members are working class smoes and don't have the flexible schedule that students have.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm yeah I figured that might be a problem. I wanted to do it from noon - later since I wanted to plan a collection trip for wood and rocks and still have enough light to see.

Perhaps we can just postpone the collection trip and just start the meeting from 6 or 7 pm to 8 or 9 pm at my house and just get to know each other first and what our schedules are like. Then later we can plan a weekend trip. How does that sound? Would you be up for that?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. After conferring with several people the meeting will be held on Monday October 19th 2009 at my house in Hamden Connecticut from 6 pm to 9 pm.

If anyone that I haven't spoken with wants to come, please PM me for my address.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a reminder: the meeting is still scheduled and will happen monday 19th from 6-9 pm. Please PM me to confirm if you want to come! I've got to figure out how much pizza to make!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Penny, the meeting went very well! Sorry about not replying before, I was busy with work and I forgot to reply. I think what I'll do is post some pictures of the meeting here later on (with people's permission).

We had a total of four people show up to the first meeting. Drift wood and plants were traded. We talked about growing plants in different methods (soil, EI, etc...), how to coax apistos into breeding, emersed culture, auto-water change systems. Some people stayed until midnight, others left at 10 pm. We also discussed how to get more people to come.

One idea was to make a website for our group, another was to post adds on a website called get together. I talked with a pet shop owner in Hartford and got him to agree to give our group discounts on all purchases from his store (also to post our group's fliers all over the fish section in his shop). I plan to talk to a few more pet shop owners in the area. With any luck we'll be getting tons of members and discounts from online and from local pet shops.

Did I forget anything? Feel free to chime in anyone who came!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The second meeting will be held on Monday November 23rd from 7 pm to 9 pm. I will be giving a small news update about the new local shops that will be sponsoring our club and then a short presentation about nutrients, plant substrates and plant health in the beginning of the meeting and then the rest of the meeting will be open for trading, chatting and planning future events.

PM me or email me to know if you will be coming and if you need directions. Please try to be on time!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
hey Zap & all
I am going to try and be there, even though I won't have a tank for a while!
penny
(vancat)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics. Too bad that getting to where you are by 7pm isn't a possibility during weekday.

-Riverboa

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aw, well if you can make it later then 7 we'll still be there!

So, good news everyone, we have a few new members to our club! I've talked to 3 new people and two of them have said they will be coming to our next meeting (the third might come though I only finished messaging them right now about the details!).

We also have a pet shop involved in our club! Soon we will have fliers up that will gather more members for the club.

I'm going to talk with one of the site admins and see if we can't get our own section of APC as a club page.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Penny :wave: I'm doing great. Still working on getting the tank set up. Seems like I either have the time or the money but never both at once. lol. Then the cat had kittens so I wanted to wait till they were re homed. But now they are gone and I've made a promise to myself that by the end of November I will have it up!

How are things with you? Still have your tank going?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hi Errin!
:high5:
I am in pause mode...waiting for house renovations to be done (spring) and then I will set back up. Good luck, hope we can see you soon!

On another note, I met Jared form WH and his wife Saturday...Jared, are you watching this thread?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm going to talk with one of the site admins and see if we can't get our own section of APC as a club page.
It's in the works. :D Congrats on your new club, guys and gals!

-Dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts