Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just came back from spending the past 4 days in Florida with tom barr looking at aquatic plants in their native habitat we saw lots of common stuff. red ludwigia, eleocharis, sagittaria, val americana, riccia, proserpinaca, plus many others.

But there was one plant we found growing in a warm water swamp after of Florida that neither me nor tom has ever seen before. tom and I confirmed it is a true aquatic foreground plant because we did not find it growing any taller than 1/3" of an inch above the substrate and we also did not find it growing immersed anywhere along the sides of small stream. proving it to be true aquatic. it looks like it is related to Lilaeopsis however it hugs the substrate and does not grow upward like most Lilaeopsis. here are some pics:

me crouching over the stream I found it in (you can see it)

a closeup of the plant in my hand

i threw it in my tank and it seems to be doing okay maybe ill have some trimmings for sale in the near future. for now I call it Lilaeopsis sp. hernandez (my last name lol)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
You didn't happen to see any flowering structures did you? That's a really cool plant, very short.
L. carolinensis (Carolina grasswort) and L. chinensis (Eastern grasswort) are both common in that part of the US.

But L. 'hernandez' has a nice ring to it as well. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
Could be seedlings of some sort. What larger amphibious plants were growing along the bank? I know Sagittaria seedlings look similar to that in the beginning. Hope it turns out to be something new!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Carolina grasswort would be taller, I think. Robert had mentioned the Carolina species in December '07. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-aquariums/46373-lilaeopsis-carolinensis.html

Here is a link to some chinensis that someone found:
https://flic.kr/p/2701870191
Another link from Florida vascular plant databse:
http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/main.asp?plantID=2221

I'd put my money on L. chinensis (Eastern grasswort) IF it had the same reproductive structures. That site seems to suggest they were growing beneath a canopy (it says "below" some plants). Are you going to test this one out with high light AND lowlight (put it in a shaded area of your tank)?

-Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow.. it looks like sprouts. Post pictures of it in your tank once it takes hold and sends out runners.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes pleaze do, LMK when it comes available for sale

·
Registered
360 Posts
Definitely post updates after you've had it in your tank for awhile. I've had several collecting experiences where the "wild" form of the plant differed greatly from the form in the aquarium, largely due to non-ideal conditions in the wild, verses aquarium, or vice versa. One instance was a really cool looking grass plant, where none of the wild specimens were taller then 4-6", etc. Well, of course, at home, it was Val. americana with its 2-3 FOOT leaves. So, in any case, I hope this one stays the same for you.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely post updates after you've had it in your tank for awhile. I've had several collecting experiences where the "wild" form of the plant differed greatly from the form in the aquarium, largely due to non-ideal conditions in the wild, verses aquarium, or vice versa. One instance was a really cool looking grass plant, where none of the wild specimens were taller then 4-6", etc. Well, of course, at home, it was Val. americana with its 2-3 FOOT leaves. So, in any case, I hope this one stays the same for you.
when i was in Florida wild specimens of val Americana grew rampart in the springs and rivers some almost 15 or more feet tall im surprised you found wild specimens that small

·
Registered
360 Posts
when i was in Florida wild specimens of val Americana grew rampart in the springs and rivers some almost 15 or more feet tall im surprised you found wild specimens that small
Let's just say that the water ways and climate in Maryland are quite a bit different than in Florida. ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Hey Kyle, actually it was Levy County near the Gulf. Man, if it's taken this long to get a 'lawn', it rivals C. parva for speed. :) I gave up on mine long time ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts