Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum but not new to this hobby-I love this hobby and have had a tank for most of my life in one way or another...
I have 8 tanks up and running right now, all fresh water, Oscars, guppies, betta-my new plan is the NPT the Walstad way-I have always wanted a planted tank and have never had one-I am very low tech...maybe a bit behind in times too....so after reading about the El Natural..yes..that is for me...My biggest problem is finding the plants I need that will work for my low-tech set-ups that I can afford (disabled fixed income)
I am a new member of a local aquarium club and when I can get to one of the meeting I will be able to get the plants I need..lots of great people their I talked with that have the NPT's that hve given me great advice and direction..can't wait to met these folks as well as talking with people on this forum.....I have learned a great deal by just reading others post...Thanks Brenda

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Hi Brenda! Welcome to APC. :wave:

Be sure to check out our for sale or trade forum too since there are lots of quality plants for sale from our members at a very reasonable price. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Brenda. Like a lot of folks here, you're be another very valuable resource to learn from.

Pics and specs of your tanks please!

Welcome again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome....When I learn how to post pic I will, I am a bit new on the computer...going on 4 months now..but I will learn, I was told about the photobucket and I plan to check it out and post some pic.....
I have 8 FW tanks:
75g with a pair of Oscars and 3 bullhead or mudcats not sure what they are but the cats will go in my pond this spring-they are 1in-to-3in in size
55g guppies
20hg planted
20g female guppies
2-10g-one with 14 betta Splend fry and one breeding Betta
5g breeding betta
2.5g planted and female betta
7-cupped 120 day old male Bettas
7g-self cleaning goldfish get-up-its a cat watering tub pretty cool too
I clean or water change every 7 days 20-75%-got a python..couldn't live without it

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello Brenda... Welcome to APC :cheer2:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Brenda,

Looks like you're breeding bettas.

I may have some questions about breeding bettas. Just got a half-moon pair from Thailand. Still learning. Any particular sites or articles to learn from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Ravi,
I spawned my first bettas 9/28/08 so I am real new to this area. but it sure was fun..I killed most of my first fry with over feeding and over cleaning but I did get 35 out of about 150..so not to bad for a first try...they are now spawning, i am trying to get a layered color of white body and red and blue fins..understand I have NO idea what I am doing, just having a lot of fun..I have two bare bottom 10g tanks that I am using for spawning and raising fry..got my second spawn same father, different mother on 10/10/08 had 12 out of 100's survive from that spawn
Happy to help you anyway I can but I am new at this too-the books I got that helped me: Complete introduction Bettas by Walt Maurus and Bettas by Robert J Goldstein Ph.D and Handbook TAF by Axelrod also I joind a local club OKCaa and it has a Betta Breeders Assoc. ran by herpchat-this person really knows a great deal about betta nd breeding them-I hope to pick his brain once I get more involved in the club as I really enjoy the Betta and spawning them

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thank you, Brenda.

I still have them in separate tanks and plan to use a 20L when I'm ready to let them spawn.

How long did you leave the female in the male betta's sight for him to build the bubble nest?

What did you leave floating for him to build the bubble nest?

How long after the female laying the eggs did you separate the female?

How long did you leave the male with the eggs?

Did you let the male raise the fry?

Just picking your brain...

Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I conditioned both with fresh raw fish and frozen shrimp for about a week
Male in 10 gallon bare bottom with floating plastic plants for the female to hide in
I placed a fresh lettus leaf for the male build his nest about the size of my palm more or less
once the male started to build the nest and the female egg vent appeared I placed the female in with the male
Temp of tank 80-82F
I use a full tank due to the heater needed the water on it..some only fill the tank half full
Once the spawing takes place in about 2-3 days and as early as 2 hours after intro of the female
I love to watch the spawning process, this can take 1-3 hours the male get the eggs and places them in the nest, I had one female that would help but most will eat the eggs
once the spawing is over the female will leave the nest area and hide-I take her out so not to stress the male
I leave the light on 24 hours after I remove the female so the male can find the eggs if they drop
In 24-28 hour the eggs hatch and the male tends to them-they are real hard to see super tiny
At 72 hours the fry are free swimming I take the male out-I have taken the male out as early as when the eggs are laid if he trys to eat them-they will be fine with out him but I like to watch him tend the eggs thats half the fun IMO
My first fry I killed most of them with over feeding and over cleaning
I get a batch of brine shrimp started the day the eggs hatch, the fry will be ready to eat by 72-80 hours of age
The fry tank I keep epsom salt in it 1tsp/5g
I feed them 2 times a day with the BBS, Clean the tank 2 time a week
I use air line hose attached to chop sticks with bread ties and carefully suck the top layer of water getting the BBS egg shells out and then I clean the bottom I remove one gal of water 2 time a week
Betta fry like it warm I up the temp to 84-85F and put seran wrap over the top
No filter or air stones-still water that is warm is what they like
I am sure I missed something, if I did just ask glad to share what I learned
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Brenda, so interesting reading your breeding tips. Breeding the fish is so much a part of the hobby. It's amazing how many fish will breed once the tank is planted. They just do what comes naturally. :D Welcome - nice to increase the female population side of the hobby. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thank you very much, Brenda.

Does this mean that you let the male and the female together in the same tank. So far I've read a few articles that say not to leave the male and the femal together. They say to put the female in a transparent cylinder in the tank while the male builds the nest. Just want to make sure that the female is safe.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read that too, but I keep plenty of places for the female to hide and get away from the male..its normal for either of them to get a bit torn-up-ripped fins and such, but if it looks like the female is really tired or there is not much progress after a couple of days remove her for 2-3 days and then added her after a good rest..most important is hidding places so she can get away from him, and when she is ready she will go to the nest and this is when the male can get beat-up if he dosn't get the job done..had that happen once...as soon as the spawning is over get her out or the male will kill her.
One thing I forgot to tell you is I also keep 1-2 pond snails or MTS in the tank with the fry-they will eat any left over food and dead fry so the tank won't get to poluted and it's eaiser to clean out the snail poop than tiny dead BBS and fry...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts