Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased my first glosso because I felt sorry for it, the lfs had poor lighting and thus vertical growth now I am going to plant it but am not sue how to get it back down to carpet growth, do I just trim off the vertical stems? Or leave it? One more thing, I only bought one of these would I be able to seperate it and plant them in various places?

and would something like Flora Excel work for this plant since I am on a low budget.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I'm not sure but from what I see on the picture that is not glossostigma.
If indeed it is you can separate the stems that you have in that pot and cut them in 3 or 4 places. You will end up with a few small groups that you plant in the gravel.

With no CO2 and if you don't have enough light don't expect your glosso to grow too fast. It may even die. Fertilizing is only the 3-rd thing needed - the first 2 being CO2 and light.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Looks to be emmersed glosso. Remove it from the pot and trim in grouping of 2-3 leaf sets, plant those. Gien proper light, which yuo do not mention what you have and CO2 as well as ferts it will grow prostrate and the leaf structure you see there wll also change to a submerged growth pattern.

Those fizz tables are good for one thing, parting you from your money. DIY CO2 is inexpensive, search the forum and you'll find methods.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I found my answer, I'm a visual leanrer so bare with me and correct my steps:
When one first receives it, Glossostigma is usually in its emersed form. Plant the stems in groups of three to four and allow two weeks for new submersed growth. Pull out the bunches and snip off the submersed growth with a pair of scissors. Take a stem with a pair of tweezers and run it horizontally under the substrate until it is completely buried. Clear away some substrate until a couple green leaves are visible. The plant should begin to grow horizontally and cover the foreground in a matter of weeks if well lit, provided with ample CO2, and nutrients.

I also just found out I have 15 watts for a 10 gallon tank...... 5 watts off...

·
Registered
459 Posts
That looks like a Bacopa to me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That looks like Bacopa caroliniana. To buy glosso, you can try asking on the for sale/trade forum of this site. I am sure that someone will have some extra glosso to send. If you'd like to go the commercial route, www.aquariumgarden.com is very good.

Carlos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts