Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Welcome to apc! Sounds like you've done a lot of reading. Here's a couple more references you may find handy, if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/index.html
http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Those 9325K bulbs are used by some folks, and they do tend to exagerate the reds. Typically 5500K - 10,000K will grow plants. You do not want actinics.

Your kh is quite high, and you mention an RO unit, I assume you'll be mixing two water sources? One bottle of Seachem ferts will not provide all the nutrients your plants will need. Read through the fert section of those references to see what I mean.

As to where to get plants, the for sale forum here is an excellent source of great quality plants from fellow hobbyists at very reasonable prices.

Again, welcome to the 'green' side! :)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Yes, I plan to mix tap and RO in my auto top off tank. I hope this is a good idea??
Yes it is. Just try to be sure you use the same ratio whenever you do water changes/top offs so as to maintain stability in the tank.

I decided to do a nice mix of K temp. I kept 1 - 9325 and swapped the other out for a dual daylight 6700/10000k and man, nice choice
I agree this is a nice mix.

so is 110w of light over a 29g moderate or high light?
IMO, it's relatively high. You will definitely need to stay on top of your ferts and CO2. I wouldn't recommend 220W on this tank unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

I used to have a 29, and the lighting consisted of an AHS 55W retrofit plus a 20W standard fluorescent strip. I had some issues with penetration and with some of the more demanding plants, but overall, I was able to grow most of what I attempted in it. I was satisfied with it and the lack of algae issues that lighting gave me. But each to their own. :)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Sounds good. Did you look at the sticky in this forum about new tank start ups? That should help you some seeing how much to plant maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of experience with PPS. I did try it, but for me, it didn't quite work. Hard water folks, like me (kh10-11) have problems if we try to run tanks too lean, which PPS does. But it does appear to work great for the folks that use it. If you do go that route, definitely work out something with the RO so you bring your kh more to the under 6 range. You can post there in the PPS forum for more applicable advice there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts