Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to this forum.

I've been growing Hemianthus Callitrichoides emersed in my micro tank for about 6 months using this grow light.

I've got pretty decent coverage over all the ground area now, and have proceeded to fill the tank with water. I'm using a CO2 tank running at about 1 bubble/s.

The tank is 8.5" w x 6" d x 10" h and it looks like this:

The main thing I'm afraid of is algae. I've had some pretty horrendous experiences w/ algae in the past and definitely don't want it to overtake this tank. :rolleyes: Any advice on that end?

thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i noticed some green fuzzies on some of the unhealthier leaves. i moved the tank to the bathroom today to get as little sunlight hitting it as possible and synced the light timer with regular daylight hours. (i had the light on at night when I was growing them emersed)

also did a first-time trim - you can see all the dead spots and I guess that's where they had gotten too thick.

i've changed the water 6-7 times since first filling it. not crystal clear but seems stable now

·
Registered
4 Posts
It just looks beautiful. I thought algae where fine for fish and that they meant an aquarium was doing well, I did not know they could become a plague and damage the plants. I am a beginner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you! I think some algae is normal/unavoidable. But the first time I tried this with a larger 10gal tank, I got cloudy water, which resulted in an algae bloom, and the water turned green. it took me a really long time to get it clear again..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts