Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

First of all I am a completely new to the planted setup. I am setting up a new 42 Gallon Planted tank. The dimension are L 30" X D 18" X H 18". I want to start pretty low tech setup with diy Co2 with yeast, sugar, baking soda formula. I have already purchased few items like substrate, fertilisers and light. I will be using a Canister filter with activated carbon and ceramic rings for filteration which will filter the tank 15 times an hour. I am going to breakdown each below please help me if this will work..

1. Substrate: The substrate I have bought is "All Purpose Premium Potting Mix- With Cocopeat & Organic Fertilizer". Its a 10 kg pack. I choose this substrate as other people have given 5 stars on Amazon for aquarium use. I will wash it throughly and add a layer of sand on top so the it doesn't cloud the tank too much.

2. Light: I am using a 45 Watt LED Rocket bulb with 5400 Lumens and 6500 Kelvins. If I break down 5400 lumens then it will come around 28 Lumens per litre as my tank is 160 litre. I hope this is sufficient light, If not then please suggest.

3. Plants: Now thats where I am stuck. I have selected few plants based on my research of what is considered easy. Please suggest me if they are low tech and will work based on my substrate choice and lighting. Also please let me know how many plants are enough for my tank size. I have finalised the quantity I think is enough below:

Carpet / Foreground

Marisilea Minuta x 1 Pot
Dwarf hairgrass x 2 Pots
Staurogyne Repens x 2 Pot

Driftwood

Java moss x 2 Pots
Anubias nana x 3 Plants
Abnubias Barteri x 1 Plant

Mid Section / Background:

Java fern giant x 3 Plants
Ludwigia repens “Rupin” x 25 Stems
Crypt wendtii Tropica x 25 Stems
Hygro compacta x 10 Stems
Bacopa Caroliniana x 25 Stems

Please Help me guys!! I am a NOOB when it comes to planted tank :(

Regards,
Additya Gupta

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Welcome to APC!

Do you have a photo or link for the LED light you are going to use?

The plants should do OK, since they are not hard to grow. Be sure to separate bunches of plants into individual plants and set them so they all can get some light. And, remember, Java Ferns need to have their main roots out of the substrate - tie them to rocks or wood and so the roots are not buried in the substrate.

I suggest you read http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/133058-diy-co2.html for some ideas about DIY CO2.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Your plan sounds good. Don't be surprised if some species of plants grow well and others don't. Conditions vary from tank to tank, and it is not possible to always predict which plants will do well.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I know some people disagree over this Large war on carbon in filters, but i wouldn't put the carbon in your filter as it removes some vital nutrients for plants.

As for your substrate if it has cocopeat in it, i think the cocopeat would float if im correct, i would read up on this thread for further information on how to prepare your dirt substrate... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

the following plants you listed are NOT "easy"
Marisilea Minuta (eh this one you can prob pull off. but it really goes under the "medium" category. )
Dwarf hairgrass
Staurogyne Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana
Ludwigia repens "Rubin"

All the other plants you listed are considered easy to grow plants. Never heard of java fern var. giant before? is that a commercial name or an actual plant type?... Basically the whole specie of java fern is good for low tech setups.
List of easy plants (some you already have listed)

Water crest
Java Fern
Anubias
Amazon Sword.
Java/Christmas Moss.
Crypt Wendtii.
Hornwort.
Narrow Leaf/Pygmy Chain Sword.
Micro Sword.

Edit***
Agree with Michael :) and thanks VERY much for posting detailed information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to APC!

Do you have a photo or link for the LED light you are going to use?

The plants should do OK, since they are not hard to grow. Be sure to separate bunches of plants into individual plants and set them so they all can get some light. And, remember, Java Ferns need to have their main roots out of the substrate - tie them to rocks or wood and so the roots are not buried in the substrate.

I suggest you read http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/133058-diy-co2.html for some ideas about DIY CO2.
Yes I have, I will attach few pictures of the light and specifications below, also attaching picture of the tank and aquascaping ideas. Yes for java fern and anubius and moss I have couple of large and small pieces of driftwood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your plan sounds good. Don't be surprised if some species of plants grow well and others don't. Conditions vary from tank to tank, and it is not possible to always predict which plants will do well.
Yes thank you for guidance, I am aware of the fact that few may die at the beginning, all I can do is try and fail and retry. Thank you so much for replying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know some people disagree over this Large war on carbon in filters, but i wouldn't put the carbon in your filter as it removes some vital nutrients for plants.

As for your substrate if it has cocopeat in it, i think the cocopeat would float if im correct, i would read up on this thread for further information on how to prepare your dirt substrate... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

the following plants you listed are NOT "easy"
Marisilea Minuta (eh this one you can prob pull off. but it really goes under the "medium" category. )
Dwarf hairgrass
Staurogyne Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana
Ludwigia repens "Rubin"

All the other plants you listed are considered easy to grow plants. Never heard of java fern var. giant before? is that a commercial name or an actual plant type?... Basically the whole specie of java fern is good for low tech setups.
List of easy plants (some you already have listed)

Water crest
Java Fern
Anubias
Amazon Sword.
Java/Christmas Moss.
Crypt Wendtii.
Hornwort.
Narrow Leaf/Pygmy Chain Sword.
Micro Sword.

Edit***
Agree with Michael :) and thanks VERY much for posting detailed information.
Hey bro,

Thank you so much for helping out. Yes my substrate has cocopeat but its not regular dirt, its organic potting soil which already have many nutrients in it so all I need to do is wash it, remove floating particles and use it. I am mentioning the soil in pictures below. Also thank you so much for telling me about the plants, that has been the hardest part for me as LFS around here always misguide and only care about money.

Regards,
Additya

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Im still concerned on the soil... I would soak it *sorry for the link i gave, in the link it tells you how to PREPARE the soil, i didn't give u a specific paragraph to look at sorry lol* then as you said take out the floating stuff, it says it contains Vermiculite while will Definitely be a problem if you didn't soak it. Does cocopeat float? i imagine its just coconut fibers right? so they would float like regular peat? Then all you have left is slow releasing fertilizer and soil, the slow release fertz are ok i would think. Just make sure your soil cap is more than 1" thick.

Thanks for pics btw :3

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Based on the wattage and lumens for that bulb I suspect you will have high light, possibly more than you will want. If I was going to use it, I would look for a cheap desk lamp that the bulb would work in, that has a shade that keeps you from seeing the bulb and being blinded by it. And, I would have it at least 6 inches above the top of the tank.

I also wouldn't use that soil, because of the vermiculite in it. That stuff floats forever, and drives you insane trying to get it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Guys,

Sorry for late reply. Long story short, I ended up buying 24 litres of planted substrate which costed me $60. I have also made a DIY light reflector using aluminium foil and cardboard box. Also I am using a DIY CO2 with bubbler counter with yeast and baking soda mix. The plants are arriving tomorrow so I got everything else done already. I am uploading pictures of my final scape, soil depth and DIY's for this project. Please have a look and let me know what you think. Thank you everyone for helping out and giving suggestions. Picture Link::
Regards,
Additya Gupta

1 - 15 of 15 Posts