Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! The 2nd installment of my Bucephelandra series is up on my blog AquaBiota! Here is an excerpt of what you'll find there, for the rest click on the link below! Thank you for taking the time to check out this post ☺ Enjoy!
Inspire91

This like most Bucephelandra is not difficult to keep and slow-growing, but this particular one is even slower growing than the Buceph. in my previous post ("Kualakuayan"#1) which was already quite a slow-growing variety. For the reason previously stated, this one tends to demand a higher price, for it's unique characteristics, and it's very slow-growing nature. Whereas B."Kualakuayan"#1 grows/spreads horizontally, this variety grows more vertically than in any other direction.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The leaf looks similar to Hygo pinnatifida.
that was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw it!! :D

looks nice and probably stays that little right? great plant!

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I first was told about this Sp. I thought oh well I wont waste my time trying to acquire this, but boy Inspire91 to have inspired me!

Question- why don't you place the roots within the substrate?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Another nice one inspire!

Do you just know someone that collects these for you from their native habitat?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrkookm - nice to see u again Mr :) Believe me! this one is well worth the effort to get, it's such a smaller variety of Buceph. that it really sets itself apart from the rest, the narrow leaves and the really tight wavy-edged leaves really make it stand out. Easily one of my top 3 Bucephs!
The roots don't necessarily need to be placed in the substrate, you can easily grow it (roots-exposed) tied onto wood/rock, although placing it in substrate works just as well.

bsmith - Tyty :) I do have a friend or two that occasionally goes out into the field to collect plants. Although these were acquired by a different friend who has his own sources/collectors.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mrkookm - nice to see u again Mr :) Believe me! this one is well worth the effort to get, it's such a smaller variety of Buceph. that it really sets itself apart from the rest, the narrow leaves and the really tight wavy-edged leaves really make it stand out. Easily one of my top 3 Bucephs!
Hey inspire what are the 'other 2'? What sp will you add your collection next?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MrKookm - Sorry for the late reply, but Currently my #1 Favorite is B. "Sekadau" if you visit my blog its actually the new header image. It's such a beautiful specimen! Blue highlights, narrow long leaves, and the ribbing on the edges of the leaves are very pronounced.
#2 is B. "Kayu Lapis" as shown on this thread, such a small and cute variety of Buceph!
#3 is either B. "Sintang" or a B. sp. "Blue/Green" from Daerah Melawi W.Kalimantan, basically both are smaller varieties, with a wide stubby leaf, it's oddly eye-catching. The Sintang variety is a bright light-green, whereas the Daerah Melawi variety is a very dark blue/green, close to almost a light-black.

I basically go after anything that catches my eye, but at heart I have "collectoritis" Im sure you know what that syndrome is, gotta have 'em all! lol

Not my images but just to give you an idea of the difference between the two in my 3rd favorite :)

Sintang variety

Blue/Green variety

1 - 11 of 11 Posts