Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just bought the stuff needed to set up a 80G hi-tech planted tank, I all need now is some advice :confused:

Specs :

Tank : 5ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (303 ltrs)
Lighting : Arcadia 5ft luminaire having 4 T5's 54W each, plus a "normal" 4 ft luminaire having 2 x 32W T8's. This luminaire is situated 1 foot over the tank.
Substrate : 1st Layer (bottom) : 3 bags of Prodac Humus + 2 Bags of Prodac Humus Plus + 3 Bags of Aquatic Nature Fertiplant A.B.F. ;
2nd Layer : 5 bags of Ferti-Soil ;
3rd Layer : 40kg of 4mm grey gravel.
Co2 : 5kg Pressurized system with regulator and solenoid to work through a Weirpro pH controller.

This is my first planted, though I have some experience with freshwater keeping and breeding fish, plants are relatively new to me.

The advice needed is regarding the aquascaping and the selection of plants ?

The plants I have in mind at the moment are a mixture of mosses, pelia, nice red stem plants and a carpet of HC.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
When you start out, keep in mind you want fast growing stems to predominate. Don't plant the plants you want as your 'final' choices, that will often prove to be very frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you start out, keep in mind you want fast growing stems to predominate. Don't plant the plants you want as your 'final' choices,
Thanks for the advice. Will find some adequate plants for the startup phase and will post them here to see what you think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are some of the plants which I thought I might begin with :

HEMIANTHUS MICRANTHEMOIDES
MONOSOLENIUM TENERUM

HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 'SUNSET'

HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES
ECHINODORUS TENELLUS
Eleocharis parvula

Are they suitable? Any ideas of what I might add?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Check out the sticky here for some good ideas as well as the plantfinder on the site here. Of the plants you mention, imo, I probably wouldn't plant much of the H. callitrichoides or the E. parvula to start with. I have no experience with M. tenerum. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi charlon_ellul,

Your tank is starting to fill in nicely, are you using any fertilizers or just relying on the organic substrate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Seattle_Aquarist,

I'm fertilizing 5ml each day of PMDD (which I made myself) using Nutrel by YaraVita, as a trace element mix and the rest according to the recipe.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Keep you photo period low, I assume you have read about the relation ship to photo period with this type of dosing. I would only go for about 6 hours and plant a little anacaris in there, it will grow well and help stabilize the tank. Read this link it will take out a lot of guess work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts