Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just bought the stuff needed to set up a 80G hi-tech planted tank, I all need now is some advice :confused:

Specs :

Tank : 5ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (303 ltrs)
Lighting : Arcadia 5ft luminaire having 4 T5's 54W each, plus a "normal" 4 ft luminaire having 2 x 32W T8's. This luminaire is situated 1 foot over the tank.
Substrate : 1st Layer (bottom) : 3 bags of Prodac Humus + 2 Bags of Prodac Humus Plus + 3 Bags of Aquatic Nature Fertiplant A.B.F. ;
2nd Layer : 5 bags of Ferti-Soil ;
3rd Layer : 40kg of 4mm grey gravel.
Co2 : 5kg Pressurized system with regulator and solenoid to work through a Weirpro pH controller.

This is my first planted, though I have some experience with freshwater keeping and breeding fish, plants are relatively new to me.

The advice needed is regarding the aquascaping and the selection of plants ?

The plants I have in mind at the moment are a mixture of mosses, pelia, nice red stem plants and a carpet of HC.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are some of the plants which I thought I might begin with :

HEMIANTHUS MICRANTHEMOIDES
MONOSOLENIUM TENERUM

HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 'SUNSET'

HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES
ECHINODORUS TENELLUS
Eleocharis parvula

Are they suitable? Any ideas of what I might add?

· Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Check out the sticky here for some good ideas as well as the plantfinder on the site here. Of the plants you mention, imo, I probably wouldn't plant much of the H. callitrichoides or the E. parvula to start with. I have no experience with M. tenerum. Hope that helps.

· Registered
5,320 Posts
Hi charlon_ellul,

Your tank is starting to fill in nicely, are you using any fertilizers or just relying on the organic substrate?

· Registered
534 Posts
Keep you photo period low, I assume you have read about the relation ship to photo period with this type of dosing. I would only go for about 6 hours and plant a little anacaris in there, it will grow well and help stabilize the tank. Read this link it will take out a lot of guess work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.