Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to setup this tank in about a month or so. I've never had a planted aquarium before just used plastic or silk plants. I planned on using Eco Complete for a substrate and am using a single actinic 03 bulb 48". Is my lighting sufficient for low light plants. I was planning on keeping Amazon Swords, Java Fern and Anubias Nana. Are there any other plants I should be considering. I realize the plants I have chosen aren't all from SA but I believe they are low light plants. Or should I go to a 2 strip cover and use 2 - 48" bulbs. Any sugggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is 90g and I wanted to use actinic blue for low light to see the catfish better instead of them hiding all the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm about to get a 2 strip light fixture. Would leaving my blue actinic in with a plant light do the trick. Or does anyone have another suggestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I ended up buying a Current USA Orbit. It has 4-65w power compacts. 2 are actinic which I plan on changing out for 2 6700K daylight tubes. 4 Lunar lights will give me that nocturnal effect that I like so much in reef tanks. The 4 tubes will give me 260w on a 90g which I believe to be enough to grow swords, crypts, anubias nana & maybe some kind of moss. How would Vallisneria do under these lights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plan on putting the lights on timers during the day and using the lunar lights more at night to entice the plecos to become more active. Is 10 hours of light per day the norm for Swords, Crypts, Vallisneria and Anubias Nana. Would something like Excel work instead of a CO2 setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I haven't Dave, I'm new at this planted tank thing. Are those fertilizer sticks you bury next to the plants what I should be using or is a liquid better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts