Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well...well....well...the tank looks good Don!

That Hygro Kompakt is really looking cool! As far as that Polygonum ruby goes.....it grows way different from the regular Sao Paulo. I dont know where the picture is, but I know it grows at an angle.

Any whoo.....Don the tank looks great....now get some paint on that stand and hood so I dont look like such a hack!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
808--Since I am the Breadwinner of the family (for now), my wife didn't have much say in the matter of getting this tank. :D Acutally, she is the one that urged me to get it. I think that she has become a big fan of the my hobby and has been (unusually) supportive. I wonder what she wants.....

Jazz and Orlando--Thank you for the compliments! It will take a little time to fill in; I just hope my UG does what it is supposed to do! I think that if I get a nice carpet of that, it will make the tank!

Riley--Sao Paulo also grows at an angle, but I can see that the Ruby is really growing almost at 45 degree angle. It is a bit more extreme than the Sao Paulo. It is difficult to paint the stand and pendulum when I am always gone, though. Plus, I could paint it ten times, and you would still be a hack! :D Also, the bottom right door fell off. Hmmm...I wonder whose fault that could have been? :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Don it has been awhile scince I have seen one of your tanks, and this is a great way to start up again. I cant wait to see how this tank turns out. Currious to see what fish you decide on using.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Hello! Here are photo updates as of 1-10-09. I'll post some close ups below this post. Not really much to report; overall, I am pretty happy. Everything seems to be growing nicely, with the exception of the HC. Can't really blame it, though. It is trying to grow on inert black sand cap which is a few inches thick so it has difficulty reaching the "yummy" nutrient-rich substrate beneath it. It is growing, just pretty slowly. The Utricularia also only recently has started to spread at a faster pace, but I bought some more this past week to help get the rest of the foreground grown in.

I have picked up the dosing too, which should help. The last shipment of plants is due in next week; after that, I'll grow the plants for a few more weeks, then I can concentrate on the aquascaping after everything is growing.

I was able to get the tank and pendulum primed and painted this past week finally! Comments and criticisms welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
:jaw: um....DANG! That looks.............DANG!!! ...and you still have growing and scaping to do....

Even my wife stopped and stared at the computer screen for awhile and remarked on how beautiful it looks (and that's RARE) . I can only imagine what the next updates will look like. :)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My gosh the red on those stems are :shock:UNREAL! Seems to be the Donald signature!

My UG was slow to take off also. About 1/2 of the UG plugs I put in initially melted. Those that survived finally started sending out runners last week. Did you get the aquatic or the emmersed version of UG from CPN?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Orlando, CraigThor, Dave- Thank you! :D Still has a looooong way to go, but it is filling in pretty good, at least with the stems. It has a nice jungle feel to it , especially with the midground of hygro roraima mixing with the echinodorus quadrifolias and the hydocotyle sibthorpiodes. Obviously, the foreground needs to fill in, and my zosterfolia was doing really will, but took a brutal trim and does not look as well as it did a week ago.

Bunbuku-I did order the "aquatic" form, but is seemed to take a very long time to start sending out runners. I was lucky; I didn't have many "melting" plugs. I have talked to Mike who runs CPN several times now, and it seems to be an issue of how he keeps his UG submersed in very specific substrate and water levels in pots with no water flow. In other words, he really babies his terristrial UG in a submersed for until they send out runners, and it is those runners that we get. Runners that were formed in very specific conditions, so I would assume that it would take awhile for it to adapt to an aquarium setting. He really sells his aquatic form of UG for ponds or as marginal plants. Though, given enough time and favorable conditions, the UG will adapt to our aquatic conditions found in our aquariums. Seems to be growing well for me now!

I almost forgot! Since the last update, I was able to stock my aquarium with fish! A list of what I have now:

25 Cory Habrosis
40 Cory Hastatus
30 Pseudomugil Furcata
10 Red Tail Garra-relatively new algae eaters (in the US) and fairly rare still
25 Pseudomugil Gertrudae
20 Pseudomugil Signifer
5 Assassin Snails-hoping to get some more; very pretty snail in it's own right!

Things are definitely much more active in there now, and much more fun to watch! Just ask my three kitties and my wife! :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Hey there Don! The tank is looking great. My UG is beginning to grow. I didn't get nearly as good a crop as you did, but I do see some new growth. The "runners" I got were tiny and a mess. It was hard to tell what to plant. When you get overrun let me know! :D

Your fissidens is looking great. The E. Quad looks great in there too. When your UG fills in it will be spectacular!

My DW is getting changed out tomorrow. Can't wait.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks, TexGal! And thank you again for the plants! That Echino Quad really grows and spreads quickly! Yowsers!

What is "DW"? Dirty Water?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Thanks, TexGal! And thank you again for the plants! That Echino Quad really grows and spreads quickly! Yowsers!

What is "DW"? Dirty Water?
FUNNY BOY!! Finally changing the drift wood for my trees. ...and yes, also the dirty water....

I do love the E. Quad but since my tank is so shallow (front to back) I finally gave it up. I'll be knowing where to come if I change my mind! :D

The Polygonum sp. ruby that I got grows such a larger leaf than the Sao Paulo. I was amazed. I like the Sao Paulo better.

You are still King of the reds! :roll: (Ok come clean on the PHOTOSHOP!!.. we all know you do it!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are definitely a master in aqua-scape!! That is an aquarium most of us only dream of! I agree with everyone else an i must say your reds are truely amazing! Even your greens look great! I can only imagine what the next update will bring!!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Whoops! I forgot some fish inhabitants!

--6 Apistogramma "Panduro"

TexGal-I tried Photoshop about three years ago, and after an hour of experimenting with it, I conclusively decided that i wasn't smart enough or patient enough to learn it. :D The first picture of the entire tank is "Auto Fixed"; everything else is not. :p

Dan-Thank you, but I am not a "master" of anything! I have a good eye, but everything else is due to great lighting, substrate, and a little fertilization. And a lot of luck! I am only capitalizing on other people's hard work. I have never used HO T5's before, so it was a bit of a gamble that ended up working out pretty well; the same idea applies to the mineralized soil and Amazonia II. That, and I stink at accepting compliments! But I am happy that you like it!

41 - 60 of 216 Posts