Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My new 55G is up since 3 weeks. It has 3 big pieces of wood one of which is growing fungus. There is also diatom bloom. The tank had a lot of emersed plants die and melt away. I tried doing lots of water changes but couldn't siphon of all the dead plants mostly because of wood and hairgrass. The tank has some 55 x 3W bridgelux leds, pressurized co2 and regular ferts. I am doing 3 day 50% water changes. Havent tried to manually remove fungus yet as I am hoping my 90 herliquin rasboras and 4 sterbai corys would eat it. Till now none has shown any interest in it. I cant dose H2O2 because of the bucephalandras I've in tank.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Hi Tanan,

If you can find any Otocinclus catfish species in your area they eat diatoms like they are candy. As for wood fungus, I am pretty sure either my Corydoras or Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus species) ate it but it took a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem. No algae eating fish available here. Not even bristlenoses. I have one nerite snail doing the algae eating. I do have a large bronze corydoras, but he eats less algae and makes more of a mess uprooting my plants. I am thinking about Khuli loaches or getting some platties/swordtails. The problem is getting them out of the tank once there is no algae. Also khulies keep uprooting my plant cuttings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.