Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so its a 5 gallon aquarium with a hang on back filter that was transplanted from my ten gallon tank so its got all the goodies in it already (bacteria etc). It has amazonia 1 soil in it and a few ada rocks also i put a rock from my other established tank in it too. I also have a bunch of flame moss, a crypt and two wierd leafy plants lol. now hte person who gave me the tank light didnt have any plant lights and the lfs is out of them till next week so its a marine light. its not that old of a tank but keep in mind its got all the bacteria n stuff its been running since monday.

and this is what my tests are giving me.
Ammonia 4.0-8.0
Nitrite 0.25-0.0
(and heres the wierd one)
Nitrate 5.0-10.0

When i tested for Nitrite yesterday it was 0.0 btw and has been zero so its obvious we've not been through that cycle but for some reason i just have nitrates and ammonia...

Also is it normal for the ph to fluctuate?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I'm kind of a noob, but since no one else is replying to your post (like mine today), I thought I'd put my 2 cents in...

The ammonia levels could be due to the amazonia... I know I just set up a tank with amazonia and the ammonia levels have been through the roof. I've read that others have had that issue as well...

Perhaps the bacteria present in your filter have started cycling through the ammonia and begun producing nitrates... not sure though, this is just a beginners guess...

As far as the pH thing goes... what do you mean fluctuate? It seems like I have read that amazonia can have a softening effect on your water as well.

IMO if you are confused by your test results, you can always test again! Personally (and this is coming from someone with not too much experience) I would just wait until the tank fully cycles to be worried about anything... as long as the plants are doing ok. See what kind of test results you get at the end of your cycle... hope this helps and good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The ADA leaches ammonia for weeks. I'm sure that's what is happening. I also think that the bacteria is converting your nitrites into nitrates. You can speed up this process by adding fast growing plants that are nutrient hogs. Hornwort and Najas sp 'Roraima' are among the best. You can also get floaters like frogbit and red root floater.

Actually if you have no fish in there the ammonia can really help your plants establish quickly. That is a good thing. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other plants you'd suggest?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Any other plants you'd suggest?
I suggested those 2 because they are super fast growers, you can almost watch them, but really any fast stem plant will do - wisteria, myro mattagrosense (it's a crazy grower!!), parrot feather, ambulia.... any one that is a fast grower will work. Cram your tank full of fast growing stem plants. I added ADA Amazonia to 2 tanks with fish and stuck the Najas sp Roraima in there and never had any issues. The plants have grown so much the poor fish have had to swim sideways! Just kidding - but the tanks did FILL UP with plants.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i'll have to see if my LFS has some i cant find anyone that has it that isnt like a million bucks to get shipped lol!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, putting tons of plants in there with the Amazonia will help with the ammonia. Try to do many water changes and the spiking and weird tests will level out in a few weeks. Don't put anything but plants in there until everything levels out. With daily water changes and tons of plants, my Amazonia took two weeks or so. You will be pleasantly surprised with the soil though after it is all done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i figured it out and i already got some najas thanx tho :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts