Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm conisdering getting a 55cm x 55cm x 55cm cube tank and using MH lighting which would be at about 150w.

This is the aquamedic chromis tank, which is really intended for marine, but I have been thinking about selling the skimmer included and changing the mh bulb, do you think this would be ok? I'm basically going off one of Amano's cube tanks in NAW2 which seems to use a similar 150w setup, on page 71.

Here is the lowdown on the chromis tank....

http://www.aqua-medic.de/cgi-bin/php/display_product.php3?p_id=94&lang=en&cat_id=1

I already have a CO2 system so that would be ok, and I'd have to get a external filter or maybe internal but that would be about it. What do you guys think? It's a lot of money to spend and I would have to mess about selling parts of the tank on ebay etc, but I think it would look pretty cool. My worry is it may turn into a very expensive algae contrainer though......

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The tank dimensions are nice. It looks good (and expensive). Are these available locally? What about Eheim or Deltec tanks?

If there is any built-in overflow, I would not be interested. If it is a simple cube, I think it would make a very nice planted aquarium. Changing the MH bulb should od the job and give you a high quality system.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the choice around these parts are juwel tanks or some others, rena etc. I have a juwel rio 125 at the moment but I'm a bit bored of it.

I would love the tank but it's really very expensive for what it is so that is stopping me at the moment. I just like the idea of a cube tank with MH lighting. As for the overflow thing you mentioned I have no idea what that is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
An overflow is a chamber that allows water to flow from the display tank to a sump hidden below in the stand. The water is then sent back to the display via a pump. The ad does not mention one specifically but you have to guess there is one as they are pretty much standard equipment on tanks like this. While these are great for saltwater tanks they would not be so good for planted tanks where you are looking for as little surface agitation as possible (to preserve CO2).

·
Registered
144 Posts
A friend of mine has that tank planted with a very large piece of driftwood. It's very nice but I personally prefer more conventional dimensions. To me the length of the tank doesn't allow enough room for a nice aquascape but others' opinions will obviously differ.

Here's a recent pic of his tank:
Cube tank

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S said:
An overflow is a chamber that allows water to flow from the display tank to a sump hidden below in the stand. The water is then sent back to the display via a pump. The ad does not mention one specifically but you have to guess there is one as they are pretty much standard equipment on tanks like this. While these are great for saltwater tanks they would not be so good for planted tanks where you are looking for as little surface agitation as possible (to preserve CO2).
Ah right, no it doesn't have one of them I have seen it in the flesh so to speak, it uses a skimmer with a wheel thing that must be some kind of wet dry filter, I think those kinds of things are more standard in america than they are in the uk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Capt. said:
A friend of mine has that tank planted with a very large piece of driftwood. It's very nice but I personally prefer more conventional dimensions. To me the length of the tank doesn't allow enough room for a nice aquascape but others' opinions will obviously differ.

Here's a recent pic of his tank:
Cube tank
good point.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

More details.

I think you can do anything you want with a cube. No need to cram it completely full. Design with void in mind - meaning think of the space as much as you might think of the things which occupy the space.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's oliver knott's tank isn't it? superb stuff.

I would love to do a big 300 litre tank which I was originally going to do but I'm restricted by expense, space and equipment. With this tank I can sell my old tank and use the co2 and stuff on the new one, with buying a new much larger tank I would have to scale up all the equipment and suchlike and it would be really expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts