Aquatic Plant Forum banner

New to APC, but a SFL native!!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jerrybforl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I finally signed up on APC after having been using it for the past 3 months :yawinkle: and after surfing the forums, I decided my first place to post would be here.

I'm based out of South Miami/Homestead. And getting anything locally or semi-locally has shown to be a pain when it comes to freshwater tanks. I went hunting the other day driving North on US-1 and found out that even the small aquarium stores are mainly saltwater. I find the biggest problem in getting the plants I want for my tanks...

On top of it all, I've been dying for some interaction with people who are interested in what I am interested in, and the LFS is no place to meet these people... (As I recall last Saturday, while pointing out to my boyfriend how their angelfish stock was dying and had fungus spots, I overheard a woman ask "If a fish dies, does that do anything to the water? Should I take it out?" to which I just sighed. I also hate seeing people buy tiny plastic tanks for bettas...)

Looking for some relations, and some welcomes!! Hopefully even get to meet some people!!

#2 ·
If you go up to Tamarac, there is a nice store called All Fish Emporium. They have amazing plant selection and fish selection. Ed is the man that is in charge of the plants. Tell him JJ sent you.

Also The Planted Aquarium Store in Ft. Lauderdale off Oakland Park and West Dixie have some nice selections. They have a website up.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that if it was not for the internet the planted tank hobby will be where it was 15 years ago - very rare. The internet makes it look big. But as you saw already if you try to find planted tanks or plants locally you end up with frustration. That's how it is everywhere.

Your best approach is to get to know your folk local that are into planted tanks. Some years ago there was an effort to organize a Florida aquatic plant club but I think it fell apart fairly quickly. I'd be happy to hear that actually there is a club now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.