Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and good evening from Seattle!

I am new to this forum and I apologize if I have posted to the wrong area or anything. I am experiencing some trouble though.

I am a somewhat experienced fish keeper, but I am not experienced with plants. So far I've just been doing what various pet stores have been suggesting I do.

I currently have a 55 gallon. I will post all information I can. Before I continue thought I would like to state that I am slowly raising my tank temperature to 82-84 degrees F, and lowering the Ph to 6.5 slowly. Also I will be returning my 2 giant evil angel fish tomorrow because I am exchanging them for 3 Discus fish. (fish I have kept before and adore)

However my problem is this. I am trying to slowly add various types of plants to my tank. I hope to eventually have a very well established planted aquarium for my Discus, and Tetras. The plants I have currently don't seem to be doing so well. They're developing odd coloring, spots, translucent/brown tips, and are pale in color. So I would really like help correcting this problem. I have plenty of photos to supply and I'll do my best to give you all the tank information you need. If you need any futher information on my tank please simply state what you need and I'll do my best to oblige. Unforuntately two of the plants were given to me from a friend, so I don't know what they are, but I know one of the three I have is called Duckweed.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out with this problem.

55 Gallon Tall, Planted, Community.
Filtration; Whisper EX70 HOB, and Cascade 1000 Canister Filter
Plenty of aeration
Gravel Substrate
Lighting; MarineLand Energy Efficient LED Strip Light 48" and Mingdak LED 18.5"

Water Quality
Freshwater
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Total Hardness: 0-20ppm
Total Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 40-80ppm
Ph: 6.8-7.2

Tank Inhabitants
4 Red Serpae Tetras
4 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Silvertip Tetras
1 Headstander
3 Emerald Corys
2 Giant Evil Angel Fish

Tank Plants
Plant 1 - No idea
Plants 2 - No idea
Plant 3 - Duckweed

Currently adding:
Flourish Comprehensive Supplement
Flour Excel Organic Carbon

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Welcome to APC!

Plants need NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium) as well as trace elements and carbon. The Flourish products you are using do provide the trace elements and some carbon, but not nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. I suggest, if you want to use Flourish products, get some Flourish potassium and phosphorous. You seem to have adequate nitrogen, as nitrate, probably from the fish food. You could also double the dosage of Excel to get more available carbon.

I'm not sure, but the plant in the first photo looks like a terrestrial plant, which won't survive in the water.

·
Super Moderator
5,776 Posts
Agree with Hoppy. The first plant looks like a dracaena, which is a terrestrial plant and will slowly die in the aquarium. The second plant is a sword plant. These love a rich substrate and will appreciate some root tabs in addition to Hoppy's suggestions.

How long have the plants been in the tank?

Good luck and please keep us updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts