Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone...a few days ago i bought a few amazon swords not thinking about properlighting and fertilzer or anything like that...right now i have a 75 gal with 10 1-2" red breast piranhas.....the past few days i have noticed that my plants have been turning yellow and somewhat limp....can anyone help me with this? or just give some advice on what equipment etc. i will need to keep them alive and healthy?..thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Welcome... What type of lighting/wattage do you have? You will need a least 2WPG for Amazon Swords. How about your substrate is it plain gravel and how deep? A depth of at least 2" is best and I suggest adding root tabs since A. Sword are heavy root feeders. Turning yellow could be a sign of iron deficiency or not enough light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm well....im jus using natural gravel for now....i have about 2 inches of it...and yeah.....my lighting isnt that great....i got about 2 24" lights on it....with 2 bulbs...so thsa like hmm...only aroudn 60 watts ..lold damn...i think i need alot more

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Your main problem is your lighting/wattage, this is way A. Swords are turning yellow. I would look into getting some better lighting if you want to keep plants. For a 75G tank you will need at least a 150 watts to get 2WPG.

It is ok to use natural gravel but make sure it is around 2-3mm in size. Since you don't have any nutrients in the gravel you will have to use root tabs.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Root tabs is a gravel bed conditioner that are designed to be inserted in the gravel to provide nutrients to the roots. Seachem makes one called Flourish tabs which I use. You can also use Jobes fern & palm spikes, which I'm going to try in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol hmm ill try that..thanks alot man....and yeah...i got 160 watts of light now...i got 2 48" double light fixtures...the bulbs are all 40 watts..so i think im alright for now lol..im also gonna try doing the diy yeast and sugar CO2 thing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts