Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've set up my tank, (75gal) let it cycle... got a few fish in there for effect....
pH currently 7.4, No ammonia, no NO3, no NO4... Should be receiving my CO2 regulator in a day or two... with inital plants (about 40) comming a day or so after. I have home built my CO2 injector using a powerhead, gravel sucker tube, airstone and sponge...
Ultimately I must get my pH down to the low 6's, and the proper concentration of CO2 in the water column. I have a hardness test...

So my question is this... What should my initial setting on my injector be? 2-3 bubbles per min or what? Is there a good "How to" article somewhere I'm missing? I'll be keeping tetras, corys, farawella, autocynclus (sp), pleco's and Discus. What should my hardness readings be?

Like I said I'm new to this CO2 stuff... just looking for some knowledge tranfer from you guru's! :smile:

Thanks in advance for any information!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
What does your hardness test tell you (KH especially)? That will decide how low you want to set your pH, and how to set the flow for the C02 bubbles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, first you want to make sure that your KH is AT LEAST 3dkh or roughly 50 ppm. If it's lower, the addition of co2 can cause large pH swings.

As far as a starting point, start out slow and work your way up gradually. The bubble rate has alot to do with things like how efficient your diffuser/reactor setup is. Also, surface turbulance made a BIG difference for me.

I would start out with maybe 1 bubble every 3 seconds (you might be able to get away with more but it's best to error on the side of caution), test your water for KH and Ph the next day and slowly alter your bubble rate accordingly. Repeat as necessary

I've had to add as much as 4 bubbles and as little as 1 bubble per second, depending on my setup, to reach a co2 level of 30 ppm or so.

Slow and steady is usually the best method.

*edit: I do not leave my co2 on all the time, just when the lights are on. If you leave it on all the time and do not have a pH controller you might want to start out with even less

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, tested my water hardness.... GH was 3dkh and KH was 4dkh. pH has dropped a bit since last week (when I last tested) to 7.2

CO2 will only be on when lights are on, as my regulator will have a solenoid which I will put on my light timer.

How can I measure ppm CO2?

Also, surface aggitation is almost non-existant, I use a skimmer for my wet-dry, and the outlet it pretty submerged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts