Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have used co2 for many years. A 5lb bottle served my 29 gallon for 2 years, a 5lb tank will due a 10- 150gallon tanks maybe even larger. If you want the minimal is approach the elnatural is it, but most of the tanks you see photos of are high tech. El natural is great but limiting as far a plant selection. 200$ is a fair price for a full co2 setup with bottle, if you hunt you may find it cheaper. The setup is simple and one does not need to know a whole lot about gasses to set it up. As far a diy aka yeast it is messy and more expensive in the long run- but due able for smaller tanks if you are on a budget. My opinion, if you can afford it do it in the long run it is cheaper and easier to control. All you need is a bottle, regulator with solenoid, bubble counter, hose and diffuser. Have the solenoid on a timer with the light and start with 1 bubble per second. If you want to get optimal reading get a co2 drop checker and put 4dkh water in it, green leaf aquarium has a good on with the 4dkh water 25$. A local shop who refills fire extinguishers can sell you a reconditioned bottle for around 65$ and if you google "jbj regulator" you can find one with solenoid and bubble counter for around 100$. Ebay diffuser and you can get a glass one for around 10$. Over all around 200$ for the whole setup less hose, go to you local hard where store and buy 1/8 clear tubing around 19 cents a foot. I hope this is enought to get started, if you have more question just ask.:smile:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good choice on the co2. A bubble counter can be attached on to the regulator or inline, depending on what you buy. And yes a reactor is a diffuser, normally reactor is a little bit fancier than a diffuser. The diffuser can be mounted in the tank or in line with a canister filter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts