Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just read the thread by stuckintexas. But I don't want to be rude to tag my uncertainties on, so here it is, yet another thread about C02. ;)

Right now I am doing all the research I can, on setting up my first planted tank later this fall or early winter. I am very comfortable with the minimalist approach to fish keeping, and extremely comfortable in working with habitats and mini ecosystems out in nature.

Since this is my first planted tank attempt, I am a little unsure about CO2 setup - not exactly comprehending what parts I need and what’s reasonable.

The tank I am contemplating is going to be between 15 and 30 gallons. I am going to focus on plants in the beginning. Down the road I might put in some small shrimps and schooling fish to complete the look and habitat.

What are my options in terms of CO2? At the moment I am unnerved by the idea of a big set up with regulator and reactor, etc. What are the realistic considerations I should expect? DIY involving yeast and sugar sounds easy enough. But I am also looking at some interesting systems such as Hydor. Any thoughts?

For a small tank, do I need all the gadgets, gauges, valves...?

I expect that I will manually turn off the CO2 supply at night, but is hooking up to a timer a possibility?

Does the reactor have to be submerged?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys! Appreciate all the responses. I am clumsy with DYI projects, so I think I will stay away from that. If I can't bake a cake...best not to mess with yeast? ;-)

I am going to continue reading up on the simpler CO2 set up.

Assuming I am completely ignorant...I am understanding the following, in terms of very simple pressurized system:

Pressurized canister attached to a regulator, connected via pressure tubing to a one-way valve, then to a bubble counter (if used), and then to a submerged diffuser, correct?

What's a reactor? Is that a different name for a diffuser?

I don't need to have water pumped from the tank to go into a canister, only to have the CO2 made available in that canister, which then is pumped back into the tank, do I?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! So if I have the CO2 plugged inline to the filter, that means I can dispensing the CO2 via the filter, and not having to deal with another tube in the tank, yes?

Just out of curiosity: I have noticed some small planted tanks, like a 1-gal. tank say for the office cubicles and what not. How do we get CO2 into those small tanks? Or is that not necessary because of such a small volume?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dave. You brought up very good points. I am considering the easy plants as well that do not necessary require CO2 in a low-light tank. But thanks for the reminder. Good advice re: livestock. I am trying not to get overly excited and buy a whole bunch of fishes! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts