Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I have been growing mostly easy plants in a medium to low light setting. Although they have been surviving, I decided to give things a boost with CO2. I have obtained the very basic equipment to go pressurized but am not ready to start an intense ferts program. I want to continue to keep things simple and am starting to wonder if I made a mistake getting set up for CO2. Is there a compromise I can go to that would let me use a little CO2 without lots of extra ferts?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
It is always the light intensity that sets the needs for everything else in the tank. Once you get X watts per gallon, that determines if you need CO2, if Excel will suffice, or if no carbon source is needed. And, the plant growth rate is set by the light intensity, so that determines how much nutrient dosing you need, in addition to the carbon.

PPS appears to work by acclimating the plants to a lean supply of nutrients with high light. But, if I read correctly, it often results in lots of algae problems until the plants get acclimated to those conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts