Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :grouphug:

My 22g long/85L has a 33watt light. I am a total noob when it comes to plants, so expect alot of questions from me! LOL

I really like the looks of these plants:

Elodea Densa
Amazon Sword
Lace Fern
Limnophila Nessiliflora
Duck Weed

Would these do alright with my light and without Co2 (whatever that is) or ferts?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Eigeria (formerly Elodea) densa gets a little leggy in weak light, but it should grow. The Amazon sword should do fine. The lace fern (Ceratopteris?) should do OK if not shaded or crowded by other plants. Limnolia sessiflora needs more light than the others, but 33 watts might be enough. Duckweed??? Do you really want it? It will shade out all the other plants

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for the reply!

After a bit of reading, I have decided to ditch the duckweed. It sounds like it could be trouble ;)

From what I have read:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=110

Elodea/Egeria Densa is a good, low light plant..

LOL, I thought 33watts was pretty strong light! LOL

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Duckweed is a PITA and hard to get rid of.
Try some java fern- it's what I started with 10 years ago, (no ferts, bad light, no CO2) and used to grow like crazy for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Might wanna add some fast growers like water sprite for example. It will suck up any extra ammonia/nitrate in your tank so your water will be cleaner.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
If you would like to try a floating plant I suggest Red Root Floater . It grows a little slower then Duckweed & is not a pain to get rid of if you decide to do so. You will still need to keep it thined out on a weekly to bi-weekly basis.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I agree with Trenac. Red root floater is my favorite. It grows fast and does it's job, is easy to thin and is a pretty plant. I have frogbit too. The duckweed is a real pest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

I really want the Elodea Densa, because I can get it real cheap. For a nice, bushy ste - its only 2 bucks! LOL

But if it really won't do well in my tank, fair enough, I won't get it :)

Red Root Floater looks awsome I'll have to look into it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts