Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the board and have lots of questions. My local fish store guru is brilliant when if comes to fish and equipment but not much of a plant guy. So here is the second of many to come I am sure. I recently ordered quite a few plants to add some red to my tank. These plants were Nesaea Pedicellata, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Eusteralis stellata and Telanthera Rosefolia, they were absolutely very healthy when they arrived and had vivid bright reds and pinks to them but within a week or so they have mostly turned green. I have read this can happen if you don't have enough lighting but I have about 3.5 wpg. I don't have co2 yet but use excell daily and seachem flourish about once a week. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Plants need light +macro and micro nutrients+carbon source. You have the light (3.5wpg) + carbon (excel) + micros, but where are the macros? Macros are Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphates. Seachem sells each of there individually packaged. I'm also not sure once a week is enough. I don't know how heavily planted your tank is. There is a "sticky" in the fertilizer section about EI dosing. You might want to look there. It's an easy read and easy to do. I also dose extra iron to bring out the reds. Many people find that there is not enough iron in the micro formulas to bring out the reds in their plants. You can test for Nitrate, & Phosphates. You might want to do this to see where your levels are.

Also depending on how deep your tank is, the light might not be penetrating the water to get to your plants. How old are your bulbs? They might not be putting out the full 3.5wpg you think they are. Some bulbs loose half their strength in less than a year old. How long do you have your lights on?

Sounds to me like you have light and nutrient issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts