Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im in s. arlington looking for good local stores. the only one i know of near me is petorama in mansfield and they are a bit pricey. i have kept fish for years and just now getting into live plants. as of now i just have the want. i plan on buying equipment and plants at the end of the month. in the mean time i will be trying to learn as much as possible and try to find answers to my questions. i have a 65 gallon hex that i will be using. the first thing i am trying to find is appropriate lighting. if you guys can help on that i would appreciate it. also, whats the deal on co2? what is an effective and economical way of getting co2 in my tank? also, what would be a good substrate? i found this-->

any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
For stores check out this thread
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/dallas-ft-worth-aquatic-plant-club/49906-stores-visit-area.html

Do a search on this forum for "lighting 65g hex) and see what you come up with. Lighting will depend a whole lot on whether you want to be a high tech tank, (CO2, high light, low foreground plants, dosing fertilizers) or low tech tank. You first need to decide what type of tank you want. Then there is the El Natural type tank that uses dirt, topped with an inert substrate.

You need to do a little research so that you will know what the options are. Here are a few good places to start.
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/index.html
http://www.rexgrigg.com/
http://beginneraquarist.petfish.net/Beginner%20Aquarist/Home.html

So did you join our group? I hope so. Hope to see you at the meeting Sunday at 1pm. After you read some of this you can then ask your questions in person. Since Cheryl will be speaking on fertilizing it might help you decide what type of tank you want. Being in South Arlington I'm not too far from you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after reading i would like to go with the high tech route i believe. i will probably do the DIY route on the co2 which isnt high tech i know but for the lighting i am preparing to spend as much as necessary to get it right and yes i need to learn about fertilizing. i have decided that i am going to go with 12 liters of the ada aquasoil amazonia though. i definitely want the carpeted foreground so i guess that means i need intense lighting because my tank is 26 inches deep. also i just figured out that my tank is only 42 gallons but still deep. i believe that i will join soon and attend next months meeting. this weekend is pretty packed for me so i doubt i can make it.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I agree to have a carpet you'll need probably 3wpg unless you go with T5's. There is one plant Marsilea that will carpet at lower light. Most all the others need higher light. With 42g tank you are going to need a way to get that CO2 everywhere. You'll need 2 jars of yeast mixture staggered (1 new every week). That ought to give you enough output for a 42 g. I would suggest you try the tiny efficient CO2 diffuser in this thread. It's cheap and works wonderfully!
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/do-yourself-aquarium-projects/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html

Good choice with the ADA Amazonia. Just make sure you get the original NOT the Amazonia II. There are problems with the II turning to mud.

Sorry we won't see you this weekend. Sounds like the last 2 issues you need to decide are the ones that are being discussed this month. Look forward to seeing you next time! :D

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Stuckintexas,

What is the diameter of your hex tank?

I ask because the lights that you will put over it will have to fit nicely over the tank. If the tank is too small it's hard to find good strong lights for it.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuckintexas,

What is the diameter of your hex tank?

I ask because the lights that you will put over it will have to fit nicely over the tank. If the tank is too small it's hard to find good strong lights for it.

--Nikolay
12 inch sides, hex tank. 26inches deep...22 inches from side to opposite side. 25 inches from corner to opposite corner. If you can help me make a DIY fixture for 100 bucks or less that would be great. Even if I have to spend 150 I will consider it. I see some nice HQI pendants of about 150W for around 250-300 dollars and thats a bit pricey but I would do it if it was a last resort. I just want appropriate lighting for the plants and fish without turning my room into the sun.

thanks!

oh and who knows...there is always a chance i will make it. if i register the day of on the website, will that work? i understand that i have to be a member to get into the meeting. how do i prove im a member if i were to register at 11am sunday morning? :eek:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a good plan. I agree to have a carpet you'll need probably 3wpg unless you go with T5's. There is one plant Marsilea that will carpet at lower light. Most all the others need higher light. With 42g tank you are going to need a way to get that CO2 everywhere. You'll need 2 jars of yeast mixture staggered (1 new every week). That ought to give you enough output for a 42 g. I would suggest you try the tiny efficient CO2 diffuser in this thread. It's cheap and works wonderfully!
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/do-yourself-aquarium-projects/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html

Good choice with the ADA Amazonia. Just make sure you get the original NOT the Amazonia II. There are problems with the II turning to mud.

Sorry we won't see you this weekend. Sounds like the last 2 issues you need to decide are the ones that are being discussed this month. Look forward to seeing you next time! :D
i saw at their shop that they have the original amazonia. i can get 12 liters for 40 bucks...not bad. my tanks bottom surface is 336 square inches. do you think 12 liters will be enough?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
There is a formula somewhere for how many square inches one 9L bag fills but I don't remember it. Maybe someone else can chime in here. 336 square inches is about 2.5 square feet- if I did the math right. I think one bag might be a little thin. Can you look at the bad and see if you think it will spread that far and still be about 3" deep?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i checked it out and they tell how many liters will give 3 inches deep over a surface area. with one 9 liter bag and a 3 liter bag i will have 12 liters and that will give me a bit more than 3 inches deep to cover my entire surface area. i will also be incorporating some rocks and a large piece of driftwood. i think it should be fine. also, with this substrate, do you still dose your water a bunch?

on a side note, i went by keller farms (haltom city) today and they have some nice german blue rams and bolivian rams for $9.99 a pop, best price ive seen in town and a decent selection to choose from. also their price on cardinal tetras are nice at $2.99 which is also cheaper than ive seen anywhere locally.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You can go to the meetings without being a member so you can check it out and hopefully join it there.

Hope to see you on Sunday,

12 inch sides, hex tank. 26inches deep...22 inches from side to opposite side. 25 inches from corner to opposite corner. If you can help me make a DIY fixture for 100 bucks or less that would be great. Even if I have to spend 150 I will consider it. I see some nice HQI pendants of about 150W for around 250-300 dollars and thats a bit pricey but I would do it if it was a last resort. I just want appropriate lighting for the plants and fish without turning my room into the sun.

thanks!

oh and who knows...there is always a chance i will make it. if i register the day of on the website, will that work? i understand that i have to be a member to get into the meeting. how do i prove im a member if i were to register at 11am sunday morning? :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Like milalic said, folks can come to ONE meeting as a guest without joining to check it out. Then you got to pony up $10 for half-year dues. And there will be a large Bulgarian at the meeting checking to make sure everyone has paid. Scared the bejeezus out of me my first meeting. ;-)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies. i have not set up the tank for plants yet due to the expense. the biggest problem is the lighting. i have a 42 gallon hex and its 26 inches deep. because of the dimensions of the tank it seems that i have to go with metal halide lighting and its not cheap. there is a great light that ive seen working at the LFS but its made by coralife and costs about 300 bucks. it also comes with a 14000k bulb but that wont work so i will have to spend another 40 bucks on a 6700k bulb.

after i get my tank planted then i will buy the fish. so thanks for the tip on the rams, i will check it out.

also, does anyone have any suggestions for my lighting problems? can i go with a cheaper CF lighting system and still keep plants alive? are there any low light plants that look good?

ok i did some looking, again i want to stress that the biggest thing stopping me from getting this going is money, especially lighting. the next highest cost is the filtration. right now im running an aquaclear 300 which is a hang on back type filter. i want to upgrade to a rena x2 can filter and that is about 140 dollars. i cannot buy the filter and the uber expensive MH HQI type lighting. so what do you think of this lighting instead, its T5. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~24_inch_Current_USA_Nova_Extreme_2x24_watt_T5_HO_10K_Freshwater_Freshwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Lighting_Fixtures_T5_Lighting~vendor~Current_USA~SearchStr~10k%20freshwater,freshwater~action~view~idProduct~CU01127~idCategory~FWLTFIT5~tab~4.html
what sort of plants can i grow with this light that would be beneficial to my fish and would also look nice?

another option is go with this HQI light which is only 150 bucks. if i did this i could probably also buy the rena filter still. http://www.fishneedit.com/150w-metal-halide-pendant-lig.html

i just need some help. i have no experience with aquatic plants so i really dont know how important buying the uber nice HQI light is vs going with a 70 dollar 48W TF HO lighting system. If I can grow plants with the T5 then its a no brainer i think. I will be adding co2 and dosing ferts but as of right now i havent gotten into the whole dosing thing except that it looks like EI method is the easiest for me. I just want to avoid algae and I want a good looking tank for my fish to live in and for me to see.

HELP!

thanks.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Check on KensFish.com for prices on the filter. I bought a Filstar II a couple of weeks ago for my new tank for much less. I also bought extra supplies, a couple of Filter Max IIs, etc. Received everything as ordered. A club member also recommends their fish food and they sell the Kordon Breather Bags for transporting fish.

Worth checking out IMHO.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Go with T5...You can get the goodies at reefgeek.net.
kensfish.com or bigalsonline.com for the filter. <- less expensive

thanks for the replies. i have not set up the tank for plants yet due to the expense. the biggest problem is the lighting. i have a 42 gallon hex and its 26 inches deep. because of the dimensions of the tank it seems that i have to go with metal halide lighting and its not cheap. there is a great light that ive seen working at the LFS but its made by coralife and costs about 300 bucks. it also comes with a 14000k bulb but that wont work so i will have to spend another 40 bucks on a 6700k bulb.

after i get my tank planted then i will buy the fish. so thanks for the tip on the rams, i will check it out.

also, does anyone have any suggestions for my lighting problems? can i go with a cheaper CF lighting system and still keep plants alive? are there any low light plants that look good?

ok i did some looking, again i want to stress that the biggest thing stopping me from getting this going is money, especially lighting. the next highest cost is the filtration. right now im running an aquaclear 300 which is a hang on back type filter. i want to upgrade to a rena x2 can filter and that is about 140 dollars. i cannot buy the filter and the uber expensive MH HQI type lighting. so what do you think of this lighting instead, its T5. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~24_inch_Current_USA_Nova_Extreme_2x24_watt_T5_HO_10K_Freshwater_Freshwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Lighting_Fixtures_T5_Lighting~vendor~Current_USA~SearchStr~10k%20freshwater,freshwater~action~view~idProduct~CU01127~idCategory~FWLTFIT5~tab~4.html
what sort of plants can i grow with this light that would be beneficial to my fish and would also look nice?

another option is go with this HQI light which is only 150 bucks. if i did this i could probably also buy the rena filter still. http://www.fishneedit.com/150w-metal-halide-pendant-lig.html

i just need some help. i have no experience with aquatic plants so i really dont know how important buying the uber nice HQI light is vs going with a 70 dollar 48W TF HO lighting system. If I can grow plants with the T5 then its a no brainer i think. I will be adding co2 and dosing ferts but as of right now i havent gotten into the whole dosing thing except that it looks like EI method is the easiest for me. I just want to avoid algae and I want a good looking tank for my fish to live in and for me to see.

HELP!

thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks. ill look into it. i am also going to grow this "HC" plant i believe for my carpet. i read on the tom barr report that HC and glosso both grow fine in lower light conditions, they get lower light in the wild anyway, right? so what does HC stand for?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
thanks. ill look into it. i am also going to grow this "HC" plant i believe for my carpet. i read on the tom barr report that HC and glosso both grow fine in lower light conditions, they get lower light in the wild anyway, right? so what does HC stand for?
I think most people have success with HC in high light tanks. Have not seen what Tom has to say about this. Our plantfinder here is done by Cavan Allen which is a very knowledgeable in aquatic plants.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=51

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tom specifically said that these will grow in low light and most people make a false limitation on themselves by thinking that they cant grow it in low light.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
tom specifically said that these will grow in low light and most people make a false limitation on themselves by thinking that they cant grow it in low light.
Seems like Tom has you completely convinced. It might be that most people are wrong or doing things wrong. let us know how it goes in low light.

have a great day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts