Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am not new to planted aquariums, I started about 3 years ago, with a 20 gallon planted, low tech, worked well, upgraded to a 72 gallon after about 6 months. Also low tech, worked pretty well, had mostly low light plants. Even had my Pristella Tetras successfully bread, resulted in 3 babies that I still have and are now adults.

About 6 months ago I moved to a new house and had to completely treat down my tank. In the process of the move the DIY lighting system got broken, replaced it with really nice JBL system, but went from around 2 to 3.5 watts per gallon.

I am now getting very close to getting new substrate, most likely Eco-complete and adding a pressurized C02 system.

The system I am looking at getting would consist of the following.

1 2.5-5 lb tank (depending on what will fit under tank stand)
1 JBL regulator with bubble counter and needle valve
Co2 resistant tubing
Co2 reactor (haven't settle on a DIY or store bought)

Does this system look pretty adequate, also should I spend the extra $80 and get a PH monitor/controller.

Does it look like I am leaving anything out, and is there anything I should be aware of before I jump head first into the world of Co2.

I don't currently know what the KH or GH values for my water are, and last time I checked my PH it was pretty high, around 7.6, also, what should I shoot for as far as PH goes.

Thanks for any insight. So far this community has be invaluable in terms of help.

Thanks

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the list if fish I either have now or plan on having

Dwarf Blue Rainbow Fish
Blue Emperor Tetras
Pristella Tetras
Joli Cori's
Otto's
True SAE
Clown Loaches
Colli Loaches
Rubber Lip Pleco

Would trying to maintain a PH of around 6.8 to 7 be good, or a little higher.

I just tested PH now and it comes out as 7.6, however, thats as high as the thing goes. Although the fish don't seem stressed.

I asume there are ways to Adjust KH if its to low out of the tap.

Thanks

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the info.

Don't take that PH number to the bank, I have had my test kit for about 3 or 4 years and the solution may not be good anymore.

One more question. If I can only fit a 2.5 lb tank in my stand, how long should I expect it to last between refills. Considering about 2 bubbles per second (this seems to be the standard that I have seen used).

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.